chapter 6

Cameron P.O.V

"Cam! Honey, come here."

Mom called me from the TV room. I finished fencing practice ages ago, and I was almost done with my share of laundry. I placed dad's trousers inside the drawers.

"What!"

I put away the fencing uniform I was folding and stood up. Mom was sitting in the leather armchair, looking inside a brochure. "Come here and sit with me." She patted the ottoman next to the armchair. I tidied my shirt and faced my mom.

"What?"

"Cameron." The smile disappeared from mom's face. I flinched at the suddenly sombre atmosphere. My mom put on a serious look and moved closer to me.

"What's the matter?"

I asked nervously. The tip of mom's mouth twitched. Then it spread into a wide smile. "I found a place that agreed to your surgery," she spilt excitedly. I could feel my eyes widen.

"Are you serious? Really?"

I pinched myself because I had the tiniest doubt this was a dream. The pain was real. I rubbed my throbbing face and shrieked with joy. "That's great! Where will the surgery be taking place?" Mom suddenly grabbed both of my hands. Then she pulled me inside her arms and let out a sigh of relief. "Cameron- it's so good to see you finally happy. This must be what you want, right?"

I nodded. It was all I needed.

***

"Mom!"

I ran up to Mom, crying. My mom frowned, dismayed at my upsetness. She cuddled me and whispered. "What's the matter, sweetheart?" I wiped my tears and looked up at my mom. The calmness my mom's eyes radiated helped me relax. I gulped and spoke in a trembling voice.

"I don't think I'll be chosen. My eye color is going to hold me back forever." I buried my face in my mom's shirt and started to cry again. My mom tightened her grip on my blue uniform. She spoke in a soft voice.

"Don't you worry."

I wiped my nose and hung my head. "But it's true that I'm different from them! I'm the only one who has green eyes among the other 49 clones!" I started to cry even harder.

Mom stroked my back. I relaxed against my mom's shoulders. "Honey, not all clones are the same. It's not your fault you're different from others, isn't it?" Mom looked at me. " You shouldn't feel upset because others told you aren't the same as them."

"But that isn't going to matter if I don't get chosen!" I cried. "I keep imagining the horrible things they will do if I don't get picked."

"Then let's get an eye surgery." I raised my head and looked at mom.

"Huh?"

"Let's get surgery for your eyes. That would make you more useful huh?"