Chapter25

Cameron P.O.V

The sirens shrieking outside made me want to run away from this house as fast as I could. If you asked anyone what it was like to be a runaway, it felt like this. Your heart is constantly fluttering against your ribs, and the room makes you sweat because it feels like a heater.

Bryn told me that it was just the sound of morning patrols. When I asked her if they hear this every day, she said that it was because of something special they needed to tend to. Maybe it was because of the girl who had escaped yesterday. The girl who was supposed to be dead. Me.

That was then when images of me getting taken, or worse killed started popping furiously into my head. I wanted to leave as soon as I finished eating. But Mrs. Reedy seemed as if she was willing to keep me here forever. At least until my parents came to take me home. I had managed to avoid her pouring questions by saying that my parents were already off to work.

***

"Ms. Reedy, I thank you so much for your hospitality, but I really gotta go now..."

I mumble almost inaudibly. I guess being a runaway shyed me a lot. It's almost time for breakfast, and Ms. Reedy is cooking in the kitchen. Ms. Reedy stops cutting her vegetables and turns to look at me. She says in a sweet voice,

"What? I didn't hear you, dear."

"I-I said 'can I go now."

Ms. Reedy's expression turns sour. Did that sound ordering, disrespective? I bend my head a little so I can avoid seeing her face.

"Dear, you should at least eat breakfast. We don't want your parents thinking that I'm an irresponsible adult, do we?"

Her voice is sweet. Slowly, I look up at her. As she stands towering above me, her pointy eyes, bulging and unsettling, seem to glare at me. Her stare is persistent; she continues to search me suspiciously, like I was hiding something. Which I actually am, but Ms. Reedy doesn't seem to know yet. Or I hope so.

I hope my eyes don't give me away.

I try not to glance at her. It just felt like if I caught her eye, it would somehow unarm me from all the lies and expose me completely.

Just as the tension reaches its climax, Bryn comes bouncing from the dining room. "Mom!" Ms. Reedy's face relaxes and deforms into a loving mother's smile. I put down the breath I was holding. While Ms. Reedy is busy tending to Bryn, I remain unnoticed, safe under the radar.

"Oh, and sweetie-"

Ms. Reedy calls me again. I shoot around like a bullet. "Yes?"

"I have to go talk with a neighbor of mine. They're moving today. Take care of Bryn while I do, will you?" Ms. Reedy says. "O-of course! Why can't I? I mean, why shouldn't I?" I innerly slap myself for blabbering like an idiot. Ms. Reedy frowns at me while I stare at the shining tiles. As she moves away from me to go find her coat, I mumble to myself,

Such a witch.

***

While Bryn goes to the bathroom, I slip into the kitchen for a cup of water. I know I'm not supposed to touch anything when the owner's not home, but I felt so thirsty that I desperately needed something to drink. Nobody's going to be able to eat OR drink anything with Ms. Reedy staring at them like that. That's why I skipped breakfast. The kitchen cupboards are too high for me to reach. I bring a stool sitting under the table and step on it so I can rummage through it easily. I search all the shelves and cupboards for a cup, when oof-

"CLANG!"

A huge thundering of pots and dishes echo through the house. I freeze instantly. Has Bryn heard me? Silence. I could hear nothing except the rhythmic ticking of the clock. The stool had slipped from under me. Now I see, the stool had a broken leg. Stupid stool, I glare at the now legless stool. I look around. Nothing seems to be broken except for the stool.