chapter 8

Cameron P.O.V

"Hi." I huffed out a greeting and entered the class. All the kids stared.

I stared in confusion when I saw all of them standing in a line infront of a women with a white coat.

Then I remembered.
Today was eye check-up day.

I broke down completely. I had been hiding my green eyes for as long as I could remember with color lenses. And now I was going to get humiliated.

I had made excuses to stay home from these check-ups until now. But this time, I had completely forgotten.

"I believe you're late, #47?" The teacher stood up from her chair and laid her cold gaze on me. The sweater I was wearing suddenly felt itchy. 
 "Yes?"

The teacher clicked her tongue and returned to her desk. "5 minus points for you. Did you forget to review the school policies I gave you to learn just a week ago?" 

 I cast a troubled look on my teacher. 

"Ah! About that, I forgot because I had an extra-long fencing session..." I stopped, realizing I was rambling mindlessly, looking for an excuse. 

One of the girls in the line snickered.
It was Mckenna.

The teacher tapped her desk to make them quiet.
"Go to the back of the line." she ordered me.

I did.

My heart began to shrink smaller and smaller as one by one, began to finish their check-up. 
Soon there was only me left in the line.

The doctor gestured slightly to come closer. I made myself sit on the chair in front of her. 
I had no excuse to get out of this one.

The doctor shined a light on my eye. Then she frowned. 
"Are those lenses on your eyes?"
Everyone looked at me since I was at the front. I laughed nervously.

The teacher glared at me.
"Take those off at once!"

I took my wobbly hands to my eyes and began to remove the lenses. I turned around when I did this so that no one would see. 
When I had removed both, I closed my eyes tightly and faced the front again.

I could feel the doctor was getting impatient now.

"If you don't open your eyes right now, you will be given a bad comment by me personally!" the teacher warned.

Now that caught my attention. I could feel a storm of tears coming. I was going to get thoroughly embarrassed!

I heard the teacher rise from her chair in anger. 
instinctively, I opened my eyes.

The whole class gasped. Even Mckenna was silent. 
My face was burning. This was too much. I wanted to hide.

The teacher was the first to speak. "How unusual!"
After a moment something hit my arm.
I looked down and saw that it was a mashed-up paper ball.

I looked up to see who had thrown it.

But then another hit my arm, then another.

Soon, everyone was throwing paper balls at me from all sides.
I covered my face but more came.

You're never getting chosen! McKenna screams.

                                                                                       🔅 🔅 🔅

 The second the bell rang I grabbed my books and hastily shoved them inside my schoolbag. I wanted to get out of this classroom before anyone decided to meet me. And I wanted to avoid them if possible. 

Jimin was absent and I had nobody else to sit with in lunch.

 "Hey! Cam!" I froze on the spot. It was Mckenna's voice. 

I replied without turning around. "What do you want?"

 Mckenna laughed.
 "Why so hostile? I'm just here to talk to you about something." 

 "What?" I sighed and turned around.

There was Mckenna, blond and blue-eyed. Her blue eyes met the sunlight and turned a warm turquoise color. She was an angel by her looks, no doubt.

 "Adel, Caitlyn, Nicole!" Mckenna called the rest of the girls. The three girls approached me with a look of disapproval on their faces. 

Caitlyn chewed the rest of the banana she was eating ripped the peel off and threw it at my feet. 

Mckenna smiled at me. "We want to tell you something really important. It's urgent."

I sensed something suspicious and I narrowed my eyes at her. Mckenna smirked.
 "You really don't know? You're more stupid than I thought!"  All four of them started to laugh again. I felt like I was back in class again, late for posture study and me blabbering on and on about why I was late.

I thought about killing my hot face."I don't have time to deal with your stupid jokes. Now tell me, what do you want?" I crossed my arms impatiently.

 Mckenna sneered. I knew she could sense my pretending-to-be-confident-as-hell mode "As I said, I had something to discuss with you. In fact, I have a question to ask you." 

 She started twirling her hair. I frowned. That was a habit that showed when Mckenna had something mean on her mind. Vanilla shampoo. I did my best to keep from gaging.

"Were you a clone of our donor in the first place?"

The girls laughed when I didn't answer.

"You were out of the chosen list from the first place Cammie." Mckenna said, pretending to be sorry for me. 
"So accept it!" she yelled. Suddenly changing her expression. 
Adel pushed me to the wall.

"Just wait 'til I get chosen..." Mckenna pulled at one of my pigtails. 

"I'm going to reward the people for putting you in the 50 instead of some other perfect girl."

They walked away. Giggling and jeering.

I stood up from the ground and inspected my white uniform and glared at them.

I can't help but be ashamed of my green eyes.