chapter20

Wil P.O.V

Lotus had set fire to my former lab. Now it was gone to ashes. With everybody in it but me. 

Someone had saved me. The woman with the amber eyes. Now I was somewhere safe...except nothing about it felt safe.

A figure still lingered in my eyes. Now it was gone. 

Maybe it was Lilith. Her dark red hair flying in the smoky room entering the gaping mouth of the fire. 

 Or the amber-eyed women who had left his side a day before. She had left when he was half asleep. The same woman who had brought him to the new lab... The same woman who had been standing in front of the door with his keeper. Her fingers had ran across my hair...and had left...saying nothing.

"What's your name?" the man in black who was sitting in front of me was asking me this about a thousand times.

"Wil."

"Do we use numbers for last names?"

"No."

I was in a room with walls that were at least 5 feet thick. The door had disappeared when I was brought here.

I don't know why they made the door disappear though. They seemed to know I was one of the lab kids. I was one of the kids who was used to being locked inside.

This was Lotus. These were clones...just like me. When he had asked me what Lotus was, I had said what I was taught it was. A pack of rogues.

Bad mistake. 

The man suddenly grabbed my arm and shoved a needle under my elbow. I flinched in surprise.

"Just to see if you are lying to us." the man said simply.

The needle was connected to a small box with a screen which the women passed to the man. 

"Do you know where your lab was?"

"There wasn't a specific lab. It kept on changing." 

The man glanced at the box that was attached to the needle and nodded.

"Did you know anybody with the aftereffect of the experiments they did on you?"

He must mean people like...Lilith...why was he asking that?
"Yes."

After the man had rechecked the box, he narrowed his eyes. Surely interested.

"Tell me about the aftereffect."

"She could fly."

"Where can she be found?"

I didn't answer. Annoyance fired inside me. Why was he asking this?

"Well?" he asked impatiently.

When I still didn't answer, he lifted his shooter threateningly. 

Not wanting to go through the painful experience again, I opened my mouth reluctantly.

"She's dead." I held my expression blank.

When he saw that I wasn't lying, he lowered his shooter.

"How much did you study?"

"What?"

"How much did you study in the robot lab?" his sentence ended in disgust. These guys hate Sapiens, that's for certain.

"They had me study with a tutor."

"On the weekends?"

"There wasn't a direct day for tutoring...just random."