Chapter23

Cameron P.O.V

My speed doubled into a fast walk. The clothes the women had given to me were colorful. Almost every color in the world seemed to be melted into these clothes. At first, I was worried that I would get caught for breaking the law. You could only wear black and white at Tobor. Just last week I had seen a Sapiens woman in dark blue heels before I came to Lotus. She had been taken away for breaking the law. 

But now I knew things were different in Lotus.

Everywhere I walked, colors blinded me. 

Yellow sneakers with rainbow laces, sky blue coats, bright pink stockings, different colored hair...

All the houses looked different. And green trees covered them. The smell of Sunshine mixed with a wonderful fragrance that was coming from the trees. but different from perfume.

Trees and flowers were all fake in Tobor. But I had a feeling that these were real.

My hair fluttered around my back. My hair was always in a bun or tight braids. We were taught that we looked like animals when we didn't keep our hair neat. So this was my first time to untie my hair in public.

I passed a weird-looking building that was supposed to be a school. It was a big square. How could they possibly segregate girls with boys and different colored hair and eyes with a square building?

Humans my age were playing in front of the school. After staring at the school for a long time, I realized that a human girl was staring at me. I quickly averted my eyes and began to walk away.

"Hey! Stop!" someone called from behind.

I twisted my neck a bit but didn't stop walking. It was the staring girl. 

My heartbeat quickened when I heard the humming of the girl as she chased after me.

I began to run. I bumped and tripped random people as I ran. But I didn't stop. I ran until I couldn't hear the girl behind me.

I looked around me. I had been so focused on the girl behind me that I had lost track of time. It was almost dark. I remember what the women told me.

When dark comes and you're not in any of those houses, you are going to float right up to space and die.

I was going to die.

Nobody was in the streets. Nobody to ask if I could sleep at their place for the night. Nobody to help me live.

Gravity was going to be turned off.

"Hey."

I swiveled around.

It was the girl. Her hair is the color of melted chocolates in the dimness. Her nails shine with colors. I frowned. Was she broken or something?

She had on a bright purple Bolero jacket and a purple hat. She must love purple.

"You'll be taken into questioning after an hour if you keep standing here. The safeties will find you."

So I wasn't going to die. But I would be dead if security found me.

"Why were you after me?" 

"To ask you if you wanted to play with us. We needed one more person to play flying cubes." she explains.

"My name's Bryn. You?"

I looked up at her. I searched my head for a fake name. Emerald. The weird eerie color of my eyes. Not convincible or normal but that was the only name that I could think of. "My name's Emar-I mean Em."