fifteen

"Daddy when's the stuff you got gonna be here?"

"Daddy! Why it take so long!"

"Daddyyy! I want my stuff."

were all phrases Geoff had heard throughout the week. He had decided it would be a good idea to pull Awsten's mind away from the arriving things and bring him to the beach, but that had brought a new phrase to Awsten's lips,

"Daddy! Are we..we there yet?" Geoff shut his eyes and breathed. He had struggled with some type of anger issues his whole life, but mostly knew how to control himself.

"Baby, you'll know when we are there. Okay?" Geoff glanced through the mirror back at Awsten as he nodded.

"Okay, daddy." Awsten said, grabbing a coloring book and coloring the pages messily.

A little while after, they had reached their destination. Geoff got out and then walked to Awstens door as he opened it. The boy hopped out and looked around. Geoff grabbed as much as he could, handing Awsten the toys as they walked onto the beach.

Geoff set everything up as Awsten began playing in the sand.

"Daddy! Look at my sand castle!" Awsten smiled as Geoff looked down at the sand castle. 

"That's so good, baby..." Geoff smiled softly, setting up one last chair, "cmere let me give you sunscreen."

"No!" Awsten whined.

"C'mon... It's gonna keep you so safe from the mean sun." Geoff reached his arms out towards Awsten. He wasn't worried about people staring, there wasn't a lot of people.

"No!! The sun not mean, you say I'm sunshine all the time!" Awsten pouted.

"Because the sunshine is pretty, the sun is mean and will make you red so you burn." Geoff pulled Awsten over by his arm, putting sunscreen on his hand before coating Awsten's arms with the substance.

"Are you gonna.. gonna go in da waves wif me?" Awsten asked as Geoff finished putting sunscreen on his face.

"Yes, just let me put on sunscreen first." Geoff put sunscreen on himself before grabbing Awsten's hand and walking him to the water. Geoff watched as he walked over and then screeched as the waves came in and ran away.

"Baby.." Geoff chuckled, "C'mere." Awsten stood next to Geoff and held his hand as the tide rolled up to their bare feet. Awsten giggled, the grip to Geoff's hand roughened.

It was quiet for a few moments. Awsten leaned his head against Geoff's upper arm.

"Thank you." Awsten said, his voice showed a sign of his mental age which he was big.

"For what?" Geoff looked down at him

"For everything.." Awsten said, looked out at the sky and at the water.

"Awsten.. Don't thank me for anything at all." Geoff shook his head.

"Geoff." Awsten turned towards him and placed his hands on both of his cheeks, "I love you."

"...I love you too-"

"No Geoff! I! Love! You!" Awsten wiped his eyes with the back of his hands and groaned to himself.

"I wanna go home." Awsten frowned. He ruined everything, Geoff was probably so annoyed with him it was easier if they just went home. Geoff moved his hands from his eyes and pressed his lips into Awsten's. Awsten stood in shock before he kissed back, shakily moving his hands up to Geoff's face and held his cheek.

Today was a good day.