Chapter 3: The Fairy

The soothing wind suddenly awakens Gabriella Lopez from her sleep, "Where am I?" she gasps while her eyes wandering around only to find that she is in a vast grassland, "Is this a game world?"

Gabriella touches the grass that lies beside her, 'this feels so real... like a real grass...' she amazes at how a virtual world can perfectly mimic the real physical object, 'the plants feel real, the air feels real, this is like the real world!'

She then stands up, but to her surprise, instead of standing, she is flying, 'what happens?' she panics for a brief second looking at her feet slightly up to the air, 'I can fly?' She quickly gazes at the wing on her back, "Holly gamolly! I have a wing!" she can't believe that there is a pair of green-colored-translucent butterfly wings attached on her back, "this is so cool!" she squeals in amazement.

But when she tries to flying around, she feels very heavy, 'hmm... something isn't right!' she tries to push herself forward but only can move a few meters away before feeling really exhausted, 'this is ridiculous, I prefer to walk instead!'

Once she lands on the grassy ground, a transparent blue window suddenly appears in front of her.

[Warning: the system detect that you are overweight, please adjust your body mass index (BMI) to normal, the BMI recommendation for fairy is 18.5]

The 16-years-old girl's expression quickly turns sour, "are you telling me that I'm fat?" she realizes that she likes to eat snacks while studying and rarely do physical exercise, which resulting in her current chubby figure, "I know that I'm not slim, but telling it blatantly to a lady is rude!"

However the system doesn't respond to her rant.

She still remembers her weight and her height correctly. So she stays for a while to calculate her BMI. She is 150 cm tall and her weight is 60 Kg, more or less. Her BMI is 26.7 and she needs to lose at least 13 Kg for her optimal weight as a fairy.

'Arghhhh! This freaking game is really hard!'

But then she realizes that she needs to keep her job as a beta tester to pay her tuition fee.

She sighs, "Since I can't fly at the moment, I just walk..."

However, she quickly stops as soon as she remembers she doesn't know where to go. She looks around once again and sees a forest nearby with a very tall tree in the center of it.

'Is that Gardenia?' she frowns, 'well, I need to confirm it first, I barely can walk, let alone going all the way there if I wasn't sure that's the correct place to go!'

"Sara, are you there?" she summons the AI, which promised to guide her throughout the game.

A green fluorescent circle, in a size of a tennis ball suddenly appears, "What can I do for you, Gabriella?"

"What should I do now?"

"You need to reach the Gardenia Kingdom to receive various quests from the NPCs." But before Sara continues, Gabriella quickly cut in.

"Huh? NPC?" she doesn't even know the most common terms in the gaming world, "what's that?"

"NPC stands for non-playable-characters," Sara explains patiently, "they are the indigenous creatures that live inside the game. They have artificial intelligence programmed to match the real human being."

"Ugh, fine, so now I must go there and meet this NPC guy?"

"Correct."

Since Gabriella doesn't give it any order, Sara then disappears into thin air.