Chapter 9- Let the games begin

Adrien woke up early to set the perfect plan in motion. Last night he had texted Nino, and after a while, they had agreed on going ice skating later. Adrien remembers all the moments Marinette and he shared in the rink, and it made his heart flutter. Maybe hers would as well. 

For now, Adrien would surprise his princess with breakfast. After changing, he headed to their small kitchen and began preparing her favorites, crepes, and hot chocolate. He smiled as he remembered the day she taught him how to cook them. Oh, how many crepes burned before getting it just right. Adrien smiled at the memory. His princess had been so patient with him. That was the day, he was sure he had fallen in love with her.

Finally finished, he stopped to admire his work. He hoped she would like it. Adrien worked so hard trying to impress her, and he was actually very proud of himself for all his hard work. For the first time in a while, Adrien felt happy being himself. 

There was one thing Adrien did not notice. And that was the smile that his face held the entire morning.  He liked the feeling he got when he thought of making his princess happy. Not that he would ever admit such a thing. 

But in reality, the only times he had ever been truly happy were when he was with her.

Now that everything had been set, it was time to awaken sleeping beauty, and a beauty she was. Adrien held his arm out to gently shake her awake. But as his hand was about to land on the beautiful sleeping girl in front of him, he was lost in what seemed like a vision. 

Flashback

"I Love you, princess, I always have. You know that, right?" Adrien spoke as he grabbed onto Marinette's waist tightly, pulling her closer so that their noses touched. "I can't stand the thought of you with someone other than me. I- love- you. You belong with me," he slurred out, clearly and utterly drunk. 

End of flashback

Adrien froze, he would have stood that way, but whatever it was that just happened brought him an immense headache. He clutched his head as he felt the pain. 

"What was that?" He whispered to himself. He was sure it was like a memory, but that can't be right. He would have remembered that, right? That didn't actually happen, did it?  Adrien felt muddled, no matter how many questions he had in his head, he couldn't come up with any answers. In the end, he decided it was probably his brain playing tricks on him because of the bet.

"Princess, wake up," he called, gently shaking her. If only he could wake her up with a kiss.

"Uhh, five more minutes," she grunted, stirring, and then going right back to sleep. Adrien chuckled at the girl sleeping beside him. Years later, she still hasn't changed. 

Adrien blushed at the sight. Even when she was sleeping, with drool on her cheek, and crazy bed hair, she still looked beautiful. He could watch her for days, but he had a bet to win. "If only I could wake you with a kiss, princess," he whispered. Just as he realized what he said, he scolded himself. 

"No, you don't! Get your head in the game. Revenge, you want revenge." 

"Princess, you have to wake up. I umm, made us breakfast, we should eat before we are late for class," he said softly, caressing her cheek. Marinette awoke just as she heard the word princess. She jumped up, falling from the bed, and screaming. "What the hell were you doing in my bed, Agreste?" 

Adrien lifted his hands in defense. "I'm sorry, I was only trying to wake you, I swear." Marinette looked closely at him, noticing honesty in his voice. She took a deep breath noticing she had overreacted and nodded before heading to the bathroom, and getting ready for class. 

Adrien knew it was now or never. He had a bet to win, and he would do just that. He needed to make her love him, so first, he needed to make her like him again. At least as a friend for now. Marinette walked out of the bathroom to find a tense Adrien pacing by the door. She stopped to stare at him questioningly. 

Adrien stopped as he noticed the bluenette staring at him.

"Umm, I -I sorta made breakfast. I was hoping we could talk, or just eat," he stuttered. He mentally slapped himself for stuttering. What was he 13? He was not sure why he was so damn nervous, this was only for the bet, right? 

Marinette looked bewildered. "Say what?" She asked in shock. 

Adrien turned and pointed at the table, taking a breath before speaking again. "I made breakfast. Look, I know we have been at each other's throats for years now, but I thought we could at least be civilized from now on. For the sake of our friends, you know?" 

Adrien bit his lip towards the end, he wondered why he wanted this just as badly. God, this bet was messing with his head. 

Marinette didn't trust Adrien. In fact, she stopped trusting the blonde many years ago, but she decided to trust him just for today. For the sake of Alya and Nino, of course. Just for them. 

"Okay, Agreste, I don't know what game you are playing, but I'll play," Marinette stated coldly. 

"No games, just breakfast. I promise," He responded.

The two young adults sat in silence while eating. Adrien hated the silence, it reminded him of living with his father again. The silence was not good for the bet. "I'm sorry," he called out, breaking the silence, and playing with his food. Marinette looked at him confused, she wondered why he was apologizing this time. 

"For you know, what you saw yesterday with that girl. I admit I went a bit overboard, but I didn't notice I crossed the line until it was too late, and we were already in the dorm. I swear it will never happen again. No more girls over. I promise." Adrien held one hand up, and the other on his chest as a sign of his promise.

Marinette sat dumbfounded. Did Adrien just apologize and mean it? What in the world was going on? Did he hit his head or something? She was not sure what to say. This all seemed so unreal.  

"Look, I know you think this is all a game, but I swear it's not. I also know I might be too late, but I really wish we can be friends again," Adrien continued. 'Good one, Adrien. She will fall for you in no time!' He thought to himself. 

Marinette was not sure what to say. This was overwhelming. As much as she wanted to forgive him, and start over, she just couldn't forget the pain he brought her before. 

"Look, Adrien, I want to believe you, I really do, but I just can't. I'm sorry." Marinette's voice lowered with each word, the I'm sorry coming out as a bear whisper. Adrien was not sure why but her words truly hurt. He wondered what was it that he was missing. It didn't make sense why she hated him that much. 

But now was not the time to ask.

Marinette felt guilty upon seeing Adrien's smile fade away but was surprised by the words that came out of his mouth next.

 "Then let me prove it to you. Just give me a chance to earn your trust, please. If I mess up, then I promise never to bother you again, deal?" He asked, extending his hand.

Marinette watched as he extended his hand. She seemed to put a lot of thought into this. If he was lying she could get her hopes up just to end up disappointed and maybe hurt, but if he wasn't, then she could get the old Adrien back. 

That is the moment Marinette decided something that she would end up regretting later. 

"DEAL"