Chapter 46- Marinette's special night

***UPDATE! Beware it is kind of a filler. I hope you like it. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow. Sending love, MMF***

Adrien smiled his best model smile as he greeted the Gabriel Brand investors. At the very least, he tried. Some thought he was doing fantastic. Others, albeit few, could tell it was faker than fake, but Adrien didn't seem to mind. He didn't want to be here. He never once hid that.  Marinette's remarks from the night before kept returning to his memory. Not to mention the disappointment and anguish he felt at the prospect of missing his lady's special day. It was supposed to be their best night ever, but Adrien was sure it would go down as one of their worst.

Adrien let out a sigh as he greeted yet another investor. I mean, how many investors did they actually require? The blonde then turned around only to catch a glimpse of his father, who smiled proudly at him.  'What the hell was he so proud of, his heartbreak?' Adrien paused for a moment, almost glaring. He wanted to scream a loud 'Fuck you' and dash out of the building toward the boutique, but he knew he'd be disappointing his princess. Adrien vowed to his lady not to throw away his future, and he would keep it, no matter how painful it would be.

"I have already ruined your life as much as it is. I can't do it anymore." The words once again replayed in his head. What did she mean by that? True, she caused him considerable pain, but why say she ruined his life? She was the most important person in his life!

He would never change a thing, no matter how good or horrible it was. He was in love with her. He'd put up with anything as long as she was by his side. So, what did she mean when she said she ruined his life enough as it is?

Is there something he's overlooking? What had gotten into her head to make her think that way? She was the love of his life. She could only ruin his life by permanently abandoning him. Adrien couldn't believe she was thinking that way. He thought he was doing a great job demonstrating that she was everything to him. She was the love of his life. She WAS his LIFE! 

Adrien had a plan the moment he came inside the building. He'd say hello, strike up a conversation for a few minutes, and then sneak away to see his princess while no one was looking.

Unfortunately, that strategy went out the window when he stepped into a nearly empty building and learned that some of the investors were running late. Adrien had been itching to shout ever since. Why was it that the universe despised him so much? All he wanted was to be by his lady's side. Was that a little too much to ask?

The blonde was startled and brought back to reality when he heard a clearing of the throat from behind him. "Natalie, I'm very sorry. Is there anything you require? "he inquired, feigning a grin again. Natalie sighed as she glanced at Adrien. Of course, she was one of the few people who recognized Adrien's model smile. The phony one. She was merely curious as to why. Isn't he supposed to be happy? He was about to become the new owner of The Gabriel Brand, the business his mother had started from the bottom up.

Yes, Gabriel was the head designer, but Emilie was the brains behind the operation. Without her, the Gabriel Brand would cease to exist. She assumed Adrien would be content.

"Are you all right, Adrien?" Natalie inquired, concerned. Adrien paused for a moment, considering whether or not to tell her the truth, but quickly decided against it. Why would she care about his feelings if she was his father's trusted assistant? Adrien took a deep breath and returned the artificial smile to his face before responding. "Everything is well. Thank you, Natalie."

When Natalie heard the blonde lying, she was offended. True, she didn't express emotion much, but that was because, like Adrien, she worked for Gabriel and couldn't reveal weakness. But Natalie loved the blonde as if he were her own child. She took it upon herself after Emilie's death to ensure Adrien was the best man he could be. Adrien was unaware of this. Natalie seemed to want to work in silence.