Chapter 40- Greatest mistake of her life

***Hello, my loyal readers. I'm back with an early update for you. The chapter is short but it is full of emotion. I would also like to state that the story's rough draft is finished and I will be updating more frequently. I hope you enjoy it. Please express your thoughts. Don't forget to like comment, and follow. Thank you for the support. Sending love, MMF***

"I'm sorry, but we can't be together, " she cried out.

Adrien's heart plummeted to the ground. His hands dropped to his side. He took a deep breath as tears filled his eyes.

"W-what?"

Adrien couldn't believe his ears when he heard what he had just heard. That had to be a blunder. He must have misheard it. It had to be that. At least, that's what he hoped.

Last night was definitely memorable. It was a feeling he had deep within his heart. He had to fight the urge to propose to her right then and there. He had to leave the words 'marry me' out every time he told her he loved her. She couldn't possibly have uttered what he believed he heard her say. Right?

He took a step back to stare at her and managed to mumble, "W-what?" Marinette was deafeningly quiet, tears flowing down her cheeks. What could she possibly say at this point? Nothing! Because there was nothing she could say that would improve the situation.

Marinette was shocked as to how she had lost control so quickly the night before. She insisted she was more powerful than that. How did Adrien always manage to break down the barriers she had spent so much time constructing? Marinette was embarrassed by herself. She wasn't the type of girl who did things like that. She felt so slutty and filthy. She didn't know how she was going to explain this to Luka.

Luka, oh my God! Her companion, her boyfriend. After this, he was going to despise her. He will never forgive such a massive betrayal. Marinette had hated Adrien for assuming he was cheating on her before. But now, she was doing the same to Luka.

Marinette felt like she was such a horrible person. She didn't mean to hurt them both, but she couldn't stop herself. She loved Adrien. Even if she didn't want to, she did, and she got carried away with her feelings for him.

Adrien's soul departed his body the moment he saw the expression on her face. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He was befuddled and deeply hurt. They had made love several times the night before. She had admitted that she still loved him. Therefore, he couldn't fully grasp what she was doing or saying, or most importantly, why? 

"Princess, tell me this is a joke. Please, tell me that you are kidding," Adrien said, desperately trying to hold back his tears.

Marinette was having a nervous breakdown on the inside. Not only had she suddenly discovered that she had made the worst mistake of her life by refusing to speak to Adrien sooner, but she had also given herself to him while in a relationship with someone else, and she was hurting them both.

Marinette was filled with remorse. To be honest, she wouldn't be doing this right now if Luka wasn't in the picture. She would have preferred to remain in Adrien's arms. To continue loving him with no remorse. She would have given him another chance without thinking much about it, but she couldn't, and he was. Luka was a wonderful person who did not deserve to be wronged by her. Marinette had no intention of injuring the young professor. Although, she had already done so at this time.

"I'm sorry. I c-can't do-"

Adrien shook his head, still not believing what he was hearing. "No, I don't believe you. I refuse to believe it! What about last night? What about the things we did or said? Last night was-"