Chapter 6: The mysterious one

Cynthia's POV

"So as we all know winter is just about to knock on our doors and as we all also know that with winter, comes along a special fest that our school has been celebrating for years now..." Mrs. Garcia, our English teacher, who also happens to be our class teacher, said with a bit too much enthusiasm in her voice as I just continued scribbling something on the last page of my notebook while trying my best to ignore her.

"The Winter Fest by The Roosevelt Private High School Seattle" She continued, with a squeal.

"Well why am I not hearing any claps" She said sarcastically as we all understood what she meant and in an instant the entire class clapped.

"We celebrate The Winter Fest every year but this year it's very very special. Any guesses why?..." She paused expecting someone to answer her question.

"Ug. This is such a dead class" She said shaking her head.

"Anyways, so as I was saying this year's Winter Fest is very special...because this is the 20th year that we are celebrating it, which means this is the 20th Winter Fest of our school. So just like every year I want my class to participate in each and every event of this festival with the same energy as every year" She added.

"Linda, sweetie, please note down the names of the students wishing participate in different events and submit them to the Winter Fest committee as soon as possible..." Mrs. Garcia instructed the girl sitting on the front desk.

"So everybody, submit their names to Linda and...Miss Cynthia Miller..." She paused as I looked up a bit startled when she called out my name.

"Yes Mrs. Garcia" I answered.

"It seems like you are quite busy this morning" She replied with a sarcastic smile.

"Anyways, I wish to see your name in the musical drama, just as every year" She added.

"But Mrs. Garcia, I kinda don't wish to participate in any of the events this year" I replied.

Honestly, I used to be so excited to participate in the play every year but now I just don't feel like doing it anymore...somehow I feel like I should rather focus on my studies than participating in some stupid play.

Because if I don't score good in my exams, these same teachers will come blaming me for it without thinking twice that maybe I was too busy practicing for some play, in which they forced me to participate, to study.

"May I ask why is that? Ms. Miller" She asked in her irritatingly sweet voice as I just signed.

"You do know that all this is for charity and not just for fun, right" She added without even giving me a chance to reply.

"So maybe I could just ask my dad for some donation for the charity" I replied with a shrug as she just gave me a sarcastic chuckle and right there I knew I said the wrong thing at the wrong place and time.

"Well...Cynthia, we all know your father is a very wealthy man and he does some charity as well but with all due respect to your father, I asked for your participation, not your wealthy family's money" She said as I mentally rolled my eyes.

"And about the money, we'll raise a lot of money by selling the tickets to the play that you'll be participating in, just as every year" She added leaving no space for any further argument.

"Class dismissed" She said before walking out.

"God! I wish I could just...ugh..." I trailed off with a frustrated sigh.

"Dude, our school authority is so smart, they just use your popularity to sell their tickets every year" Bethany said shaking her head.

"Well...the only good part about this is that it's for charity" I replied with a sigh.