Chapter 23: Bitter truth

Cynthia's POV

"Good morning, Mum" I greeted while walking into the dining area in a haste.

"Good morning, honey" My mother replied before taking a sip of her tea.

"Good morning, Dad" I greeted while placing a kiss on his cheek before taking a seat on the vacant chair on his right.

"Morning, sweetheart" My father replied.

"And I'm so sorry that we won't be there for your performance today" He added apologetically.

"That's really not fair, Dad, you should have informed me sooner about it" I replied with a long face.

"Honey, we did inform you last night at dinner" My mother replied in her usual sweet voice.

"Mum, when I say sooner I mean much more sooner than that" I said recalling how my parents informed me last night that Dad would be leaving just the next morning for some business trip and my mother would be joining him too.

"I'm really sorry, Princess" My father said.

"It's okay, Dad" I replied half heartedly.

"But sweetie, you would still have your little brother watching and supporting your performance" My mother said.

"Who? Chase?" I questioned with a horrified look on my face.

"Mum, please don't refer to him as my little brother, I know you guys found him in the stinking garbage near the slums and just took pity upon the poor little thing" I added with a disgusted look on my face.

"Cynthia Miller!" My mother exclaimed while playfully glaring at me knowing that I was joking obviously.

But Chase is, in fact, her favourite boy.

"What? Mum, I have only one brother anyways and that's Austin..." I replied only to be abruptly cut off by my mother.

"Cynthia! Enough now" She exclaimed harshly as I was a little taken aback but I knew she didn't mean to be harsh towards me and it was my fault anyways, I shouldn't have uttered that name in the first place, so I kinda deserved that.

"Princess, I think you should get going. I don't want you running late for the fest" My father said softly after a moment of pin drop silence.

"Yes, Dad, I think I should leave now" I replied in a low voice.

"I'm sorry, Mum" I added while getting off the chair as my mother just looked at me with a much softer look on her face and I knew that she already regretted and felt guilty for yelling at me that like.

Passing her a small smile, I decided that it was best to leave already because if I didn't I would actually get late for the fest.

"Ashima. What was that?" I heard my father question as I started walking out of the dining area.

"Edward. I didn't mean to yell at her like that...but we all know who's name we are not suppose to utter in this home" My mother replied with a tired sigh.

"Whatever the reason may be, Ashima, I don't care, but I just don't like anybody yelling at my daughter like that" My father said as I stopped in my tracks so I could intervene just in case if they get into any argument.

"Anybody? Am I anybody? Edward. I'm her mother" My mother replied.

"And what did you just say? My daughter? Is she really just your daughter? Edward. Did you bring her into this world all by yourself?" She added as I heard my father letting out a tired sigh before speaking.