Chapter 22: Goodbye...Damien

Cynthia's POV

"Go on...don't stop yourself...just tell me, whatever it is that you are thinking" I said as Steve and I walked towards my home.

"Nah. It's nothing" Steve replied with a careless shrug while shaking his head slightly.

"Steve. We have known each other since we were little kids...I can tell that you really want to say something but you are trying really very hard not to" I said as he just sighed glancing at me.

"Miller. It's just that..." He trailed off. 

"This guy and your equation with him..." He paused.

"Miller, don't get me wrong...I'm just concerned for you" He continued.

"Why? What part of my equation with Damien seems concerning to you?" I asked and I know that I might have sounded quite rude and blunt but honestly I have had enough of people judging Damien...as if they know him very well.

And what fucking equation do I even have with him? That everybody else seems to know but only I don't know about it. I mean seriously what is it that makes everybody think that we have something going on between us.

It's actually quite funny though because this guy, that everyone keeps connecting my name with these days...that everyone also keeps asking me to stay away from, doesn't even spare me a glance in reality.

"Miller. Come on, let's be real...he just pushed you away and you fell on the pavement and don't you deny it because I saw it happening with my own eyes" He replied snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Steve. It wasn't how..." I said only to be interrupted by him.

"I mean thank heavens that you are okay and not too hurt" He said shaking his head slightly.

"Firstly, Steve, it wasn't how it looked like. I know looking at us from a distance it might have seemed as if Damien pushed me...but that's not what had happened..." I paused.

"He dropped his keys and I was walking after him to hand him those keys but he stopped and turned around just exactly when I reached him and we bumped into each other and I lost my balance...that's it" I continued.

"And secondly, I just don't get it...why does everybody keeps acting like Damien is some kinda bad omen...that would destroy my life if I let him into it..." I trailed off with a sigh.

"All of this just seems pure and utter nonsense to me" I added, frustrated.

"And suppose if I really want him in my life or if I really like him, then nobody and I mean nobody can stop me from liking him or keeping him in my life..." I paused as we reached my place.

"Because honestly I really don't give a crap what anybody says or thinks about him or us" I continued as Steve just looked at me without saying anything.

Us?

Where the hell did that came from?

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked a moment later with a slight frown on my face.

"Well...do you?" He asked with a small smile.

"Do I what? Steve" I asked feeling annoyed with his vague questions.

"Do you like him?" He asked.

"Um...thank you for walking me home, Steve" I replied while taking a hold of the bicycle handle from him, kinda indicating that it was time to part.

"Anytime, Miller..." He paused with a slight nod to himself.

"Just be careful who you fall for" He continued with a playful wink and a teasing smile as I just shot a quick glare at him.