Chapter 25: There's no 'we'

Cynthia's POV

My entire night went by while turning and tossing around in my bed. I was restless. On one hand my brain was constantly making me feel even more and more embarrassed while recalling whatever happened today and on the other hand my heart would flip each and every time when I reminisced his lips on mine.

There was a silent war going on in between my sensible brain and my stupid, silly heart, which didn't seem to see anything bad in Damien kissing me in front of our entire school.

Whereas my brain saw it more as a sin, an embarrassment that he was trying to humiliate me by kissing me like that and instead of being mad at him, push him away, slap him or something, I rather kissed him back with such passion that I didn't even know I had within myself until today.

He must be thinking that I'm such a lousy girl, that one kiss and I melted away in his arms like ice melts on fire.

I felt ashamed of myself, not just because I kissed him back, but also because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to regret it.

And just thinking that if my parents ever found out about this incident...they would be so disappointed with me.

Soon I felt tears running down my cheeks thinking about things that now I could only hope wouldn't happen, like my parents finding out about this incident somehow.

I don't know for how long I lied there on my bed, on my stomach, with my thoughts wandering anywhere and everywhere, before finally without even realizing it, my tiredness took a toll on me and my eyes shut down as I, thankfully, fell asleep.

"Hey!" I woke up with a start as I heard someone yell along with a loud banging on my bedroom's door.

"Don't you have school today?" Yelled the, now familiar, voice again as I just stared at the white ceiling of my room, confused.

Confused about so many things, like why was my head pounding? Why was I sleeping until now when clearly it was so bright outside? And why did this voice sound so familiar? And yet I couldn't actually figure who's voice it was?

I blinked a couple of times while still staring at the ceiling before the haze clouding my brain cleared off and realization of the events that took place last evening dawned upon me and I let out a tired sigh, once again feeling everything that I felt last night.

"Cynthia! Are you okay?" Asked the voice that I now recognised as Chase's and surprisingly he sounded concerned.

I didn't see Chase at the play last evening, to which I'm more than grateful because him questioning me about the events unfolded there or telling our parents about it, is the last thing that I want.

"Cynthia! I thought your exams were beginning from today..." Chase said while banging on the door.

Holy crap! My exams!

How could I forget about it?!

But how do I go back to school? I don't think I'm ready to face anybody yet. I don't wanna face anybody's question or mocking stares yet. And I especially don't wanna see Stella yet, because if she starts talking nonsense, like she always does, then I'm sure I'll punch her in the face.

"I'm not feeling well, Chase" I replied in a little higher pitch so he could hear me.

"Why? I mean what happened? Do you want me to call a doctor or something?" He asked once again surprising me with his concern towards me.

"No. I just need some rest, I'll be fine in a while" I replied.

"Alright. Do you want me to call Mum? Or Dad perhaps?" He asked.