Chapter 15: So close...yet so far

Cynthia's POV

"Damien..." I whispered once the figure behind the flash light was close enough for me to see his face.

I just couldn't believe my luck...from all of the people in the school, it just had to be him...coming to my rescue.

Oh boy!

But yet somehow I found myself sighing in relief and sending a silent thanks to God for sending him.

"Why the hell are you smiling like an idiot?" He said breaking the more than comfortable silence between us.

I frowned as his words made me realise that I was actually smiling like an idiot at him...which might have looked a little creepy...I guess?

But hold on...wait a second...he is actually speaking with me.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming?

Why the hell are you smiling like an idiot?

That's the first actual and full sentence that he has ever spoken to me.

Huh. Should I be happy about it? Or offended that he just called me an idiot?

"That has to be the longest sentence that you have ever said to me" I voiced out my thoughts without even realising it and to top it all of...I even found myself smiling again.

I guess happy it is...

"There she goes with that damn smile again..." I heard him mumble while pressing his fingers against his forehead.

What did he mean?

Ah...I get it, I'm beginning to irritate him...or maybe I already was, I don't know.

"Wait..." I began with my index finger raised in the air as if I was just about accuse him of something, which I was because after slightly coming down from the high of being happy that he just spoke to me, I realised that I should at least let him know that he can't just call me an idiot as that's an insult.

"What?" He snapped.

"Did you just call me an idiot?" I replied only for my voice to come out as a nervous whisper, which I highly doubt if he even heard.

Damn! Why do I get so nervous around him all the damn time?

"What?" He asked with a confused look on his face.

"I'm stuck" I mumbled with a sigh, a moment later and I swear for a fleeting moment I saw his eyes going soft but just as fast as they went soft, they went back to their usual cold self too.

"How the fuck did you manage to get stuck in there?" He questioned in disbelief.

"I-I fell asleep" I replied as he just shook his head.

"But you were sleeping too...maybe if only you had woken me up while leaving, I wouldn't be stuck here" I added as he gave me a sharp look.

"And why would I do that?" He asked sarcastically.

"Out of humanity...I guess" I replied biting my lower lip nervously.

"You are not my responsibility, girl" He said shoving his hands in his pants pocket.

"Yeah I know that already..." I paused suddenly feeling a rush of unnecessary anger flowing inside me.

"Maybe you should leave then" I continued folding my hands over my bosom as he just gave me a blank look for a brief second before turning sideways and walking away.

Wait. Did he just walk away?

Did he really just walk away?

Did he really leave me alone?