Chapter 18: What smile?

Cynthia's POV

Oh well!

How are they back so early in the morning? They weren't supposed to be back until later this evening.

How am I going to explain why I'm getting home at this time? When I'm supposed to be at school right now.

And is it just me or is my father really staring down at me angrily?

Maybe it's just me, because my dearest dad has never even raised his voice at me, so being mad at me is completely and obviously out of question.

But he certainly doesn't look very content and...the reason for that?

Well let's find out, I thought to myself before tearing my eyes off my father, who was still standing at the window, looking down at me, I decided to go inside.

"Hey! Mum. How come you are back home so early?" I asked my mother who was sitting on the couch and by her sitting posture I could tell that she was worried and waiting for someone, which clearly meant that something was up.

And for some reason I had a strong feeling that this 'something' involved me in it.

"Because we got a call from your principal" My mother replied, looking up at me.

"Um..." I began but trailed off not knowing what to say because maybe just maybe, the principal called them for some other reason and I didn't want to blow up my own cover by telling her everything before I even knew what the principal told them.

"How was your trip? Anyways" I asked with an awkward and forced smile while trying to change the topic.

"It was going well, Cynthia, until we got a call from your principal earlier this morning" I turned towards the staircase hearing my father's firm voice.

Cynthia?

No sweetheart? No honey? No sweetie?

"Dad..." I exclaimed before walking upto him and hugging him.

"I missed you" I added and well that wasn't a lie at all.

"We are talking about something serious here, don't try and change the topic" My father replied as I pulled away.

"Alright" I mumbled with a nervous smile.

"What did he have to say?" I asked.

"He told us everything that happened last night and also how you requested him to not call and inform your father about it" My mother replied grabbing my attention.

That asshole!

I clearly asked him not to let my parents know about the happenings of last night and he did the exact opposite of that.

Now that I think of it, he might have dialed my father right after Damien and I left his office.

"And he did exactly the opposite of what I requested. I clearly asked him not to call dad" I said.

"Probably which is why he called me instead" My mother replied.

"Yeah. Now I know why everybody calls him an assho..." I said only to be interrupted by my father.

"Language young lady!" He said to which I just looked down and mumbled a 'sorry'.

"Cynthia, baby, you should have called us right then and there when you realised that you were locked inside the library, instead of staying there all night" My mother said after a moment of unsettling silence.

"I just didn't want you two to worry about me. I knew the moment I called you, you both would have rushed back home and I just didn't want to ruin your trip" I replied honestly.