Book talk || Neville Longbottom

It was a new year, that also meant a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher

It was a new year, that also meant a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Somehow our school couldn't manage to keep one for more than a year. It didn't matter if they had connections with you-know-who, if they were a complete fraud, or just a bloody werewolf, no teacher seemed to last longer than a year and I was getting tired of it. To make matters worse the one thing that mostly brings me joy during the school year has been cancelled. Quidditch! How could they cancel quidditch! You can't cancel quidditch! Then again it's Hogwarts, nothing stays the same for long. Nothing stays sane for long either.

Of course there's a tournament, the Triwizard Tournament to be exact. Three schools, three champions, eternal glory for the winner, the list goes on and I couldn't care less. If there's one good thing coming out of this tournament it's the international magic community being able to come together. Even if the only way it can is by hosting a tournament that is trying to kill its contestants one by one. Dumstrang and Beuxbatons, the two other wizarding schools that were apart of the Triwizard Tournament.

Another eventful thing that happened, we got our new DADA teacher who apparently is a complete nut job. Mad-Eye Moody, or as we have to call him Professor Moody. It's insane that Dumbledore hired an ex-auror, who thinks that everything and everyone is trying to kill him, to teach 11 through 17 year olds! But lucky me, I get almost a week of mental preparation before I had to go to my defense lesson. Thursday was going to be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was to soon, thursday came way too soon. From what I had heard he was mad as can be and for some reason the older students loved it. I had overheard some 6th years talking about curses and such, he truly was mad. Class had started, I took my seat next to Neville, and now we apparently didn't need our books anymore, that's a good couple galleons wasted. It also seemed that Professor Moody could see out of the back of his head, because that's not creepy at all.

"So..." Moody said snapping me out of my judgments. "Do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by Wizarding law?" Several hands rose, surprisingly enough one of them belonged to Ronald Weasley. "Er, my dad told me about one... Is it called the Imperius Curse, or something?"

"Ah, yes. Your father would know all about that one. Gave the ministry a lot of trouble at one time, the Imperius Curse." Professor Moody said. Why did he have to call out Ron's father like that, it wasn't very nice. Professor Moody grabbed a jar of spiders from his desk drawer and placed it where we could see. He reached in and caught one of them, holding it in the palm of his hand and muttered, "Imperio!"

The spider proceeded to do anything Professor Moody wanted and followed any which way he decided to jerk his wand. I sort of stopped paying attention after that, spiders aren't exactly my favorite thing to look at. My attention was brought back to the lesson when Professor Moody yelled out, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" It became hard not to concentrate after that. He put the spider back in the jar and turned back to us.