Chapter 6 || New Things

PERCY JACKSON

We were all chatting, eating lunch, when Chaos cursed.

"What?"

"I totally forgot today was the day!"

"W-What day?" everyone asked.

"The day of your final assessments!"

Every one of them began to groan.

"What?" I asked again.

"We're on our last year of training to prove ourselves worthy for Chaos's blessing, which we get powers and special abilities."

"Oh..." I nodded.

"Percy... do you think you're ready for the assessment?"

"What? He hasn't even trained before! It's gonna kill him!" Zoë exclaimed.

"He's a f**king assassin," Luke gave her a look.

"I can try... I guess," I shrugged.

"Alright! Come on guys! You've gotta get ready for your assessment!"

We all suited up and headed into the arena.

"Okay," Chaos said, "First up! We have an obstacle course for you guys to complete. But it's not a fun obstacle course. Again, this is the hardest skill assessment out there."

"What?" we all asked in shock.

"Yep... oh... did I forget to tell you?"

"Yeah," Luke said and I elbowed him.

"He didn't forget, he did this on purpose so we didn't prepare."

"Correct, Percy," Chaos chirped. "Well, who's first?"

No one volunteered.

"Percy! THANK YOU FOR VOLUNTEERING!"

"Wha--"

"Go!"

Chaos pushed me forward and I was falling down through the pit. Straight for lava. I looked around me and at the very last moment, I pressed my foot against the wall and launched myself up with all the strength I had. I leaped onto the strings, taking the first one and swinging so far, I reached the fifth. I did a backflip to avoid the cutting blades coming from all directions but the top.

And I kept going. Then, it was balancing. The whole floor shook and it seemed to spin. But I walked like I was perfectly fine before leaping through the exit and reaching the room full of cannons. I quickly melted into the shadows and shadow-traveled out of the room. Then, a room full of knives flying everywhere. No shadows. It was plain white. Shit.

I just ran. I ran for it. Faster than anything I've ever done. And luckily, I wasn't hit. The last one: swimming. That was easy. I reached the end and Chaos checked his time.

"Wow! Record time! Okay, Percy, you've passed the obstacle course."

___

"Next thing, you're all gonna be doing fist to fist combat with these holograms. But beware... these actually hurt. Again, Percy, you're up."

I approached the hologram and Chaos pressed a button. I waited for it to attack. It punched right where my face was, but I ducked and punched it in the stomach, causing it to double over. I leaped on its back but it crushed me under its weight. I quickly bit the hologram's neck and it jolted up, giving me the chance to kick it to the floor.

It got back up and I swung as it ducked and I did a perfect back handspring as it tried to step on me. I kicked its foot, knocking it to the floor and it grabbed me yanking me down. I punched it right across the face and kicked its knee. Not before it could deliver a hard punch to my face. I heard a sickening crunch and felt blood running down my nose and lips. Great. It was broken.