Chapter 38 || The Walking Dead

PERCY JACKSON

When I woke up, I felt like I'd been run over by a bus, crushed by the weight of a thousand worlds, mashed up into a Percy smoothie, thrown onto a frying pan to become a Percy Pattie, add some whipped cream and I'm a Percy pancake, then torn apart and thrown in the trash where I'm covered with a bunch of other accidents. I couldn't even groan in pain.

I tried to get up, but I couldn't. I was being crushed under the rubble, my lungs losing air, my heart losing its rhythm, my brain losing all function. I could see Thanatos standing over me, hand stretched out. I reached out to take it but then, a voice cut through the darkness.

Percy, you can't die.

Who was that?

Percy, get the f**k up.

Okay, that's Hannah.

You're right it's Hannah! Now shut the f**k up about how hurt you feel! I know, I know, but it's not gonna get any better if you accept old Thanatos's hand and leave everyone to die or if you don't get back to Camp for any medical assistance. SO GET UP!

And why should I? Why should I even help this planet? I'VE DONE ENOUGH!

Then, I heard crying. Not from Hannah. It was from someone else.

No... Seaweed Brain... PLEASE! Seaweed Brain... Come back... I want to be your Wise Girl again... You know what, I don't care if you call me Wise Girl, Annabeth, Athena spawn, girl who did you shit... I just want you back. Please...

Annabeth. It was Annabeth.

That's exactly why you need to get up, you doofus! Stop making me sit around I'm not an old grandma!

Sassy, sassy Hannah. But as I stared at Thanatos's welcoming face, even if he was literally death himself, I wanted to give in so badly. I wanted to grasp that hand and let him hoist me out of my body.

NO! You're not gone, Percy! You're not! You're alive!

Sh... Annabeth calm down... Thalia.

They were watching me. They knew. And I couldn't leave them. So instead of taking Thanatos's hand, I slapped it. I used all my energy and punched straight through the rubble, hoisting my head up even though it hurt like Tartarus. I felt like a whole new being was being resided in me as the image of Thanatos faded and the air returned to my lungs.

I couldn't hear Hannah, Annabeth, or Thalia anymore, but I knew I had to get out. I tried to move my legs, but, again, no avail. I moved my arm and felt a small flask on my side. I grabbed it and realized it was my last few drops of Chaos Nectar. I quickly took one drop and moved my whole body out of the rubble. Then, I did a whole examination.

Even Chaos Nectar couldn't heal this. The amount I had wouldn't do. I dropped the rest of the bottle in my mouth, feeling slightly better, but I wouldn't be able to walk to camp. Something clicked in my mind. But someone else I knew could. My old friend. So in hopes he still remembered, I put my fingers to my lips and whistled as loud as I could.

Just as I hoped, a black figure was in the sky, twirling down before hooves slammed the concrete, almost hitting my face.

Boss!

"Blackjack," I hoarsely called, chuckling.

I felt his hoof literally kick me onto his back and he took off. I sat up and Blackjack turned his head.

I'm still mad at you, but since we're in some stupid war, I'll give this to you... Some dude dressed in all gold and white gave it to me and told me to give it to you.

I glanced at the flask and the small note attached to it.

Wait until you're at camp to drink this, but it'll heal all your injuries so you'll be good as new for the next 24 hours, which I'm suggesting is when Order's gonna attack camp, but right after, all your injuries will come back and you'll have to heal them. Love you, bro! - Aether.

I smirked as I looked at the sky.

"Love you, too, Aether."

Who do you love? Is some other girl gonna replace me, boss? I'm not having that again!

I laughed, fishing a stale donut out of my shorts pocket.

"What the f**k was this doing in there?" I frowned.

Is that a donut I smell?!

"Yeah... from... last f**king month."

I'LL TAKE IT THEY HAVEN'T FED ME DONUTS IN A THOUSAND YEARS!

I threw it and he caught it in his mouth. He paused, gagging, before spitting it out.

That tastes like an old sock!

"Eh," I smiled at Blackjack before camp came into view.

By the way, great accomplishment.

"What accomplishment?"

Killing the Empire State Building... duh...

"F**k, I did that?" I turned to see there was no Empire State Building in the sky where it should've been. "Shit."

We landed in Camp Half-Blood to shock everyone.

"Order's attacking soon," I said.

"Percy, you look awful--" Luke started but I drank the vial.

"Ew!" I exclaimed, staring at the bottle, "Aether what is this--" the feeling of healing rested upon me "--oh... that feels good."

I glanced down to see everything healing, closing up. Blackjack trotted off into the mess hall to try and find some donuts while I sat down on the floor.

"Listen, Order's attacking the camp soon, so as much as all of you are tired from the last battle, you guys need to go back out there, face that meanie for the last time, and we can celebrate afterwards, okay?"

"Percy... you killed the Empire State Building," Bianca said, giving me a look.

"Chaos'll fix it," I rolled my eyes, "Just leave it be."