Chapter 30 || Another Meeting

PERCY JACKSON

I gathered the counselors and my commanders in the mess hall for a meeting.

"Okay," I started, "Well, spying for Order was a success--"

"--that almost killed you, yeah," Zoë interrupted, rolling her eyes.

"Well, it got us all the information we needed to know," I sighed, "But what Order also gave me..."

I showed them all the map.

"Is this map. The map for the Umbion Stone."

"What the f**k is that?" Leo asked and I glanced at him.

"It's an ancient stone known for its power. To a single touch, the wielder can use it to gain power beyond imaginable or to heal people even if they're at the edge of death. However, I knew Order was after it, too. So my father went ahead and gave it to us, so the stone picked him as its owner."

"What do you mean... picked its owner?"

"Well, the stone has to belong to someone to prevent false usage. The only problem is, the previous wielder died and he left the stone somewhere unknown. Order is after it because the person who died had no one he was planning on leaving the stone to. He wasn't expecting his death to come so soon."

"Well... what else? I know our training has been done, but what about the battle plan?" Piper asked.

"I've discussed with my commanders, and Order plans to have multiple battles to fight, meaning to tire us out. Instead of putting everyone out on the battlefield, with the training we are providing, there shouldn't be any need for excessive campers to be on the battle grounds. Instead, we could split into groups and switch up who gets to go out to fight for each battle based on skill."

"So... the stronger ones fight the stronger battles and the weaker groups fight the weaker battles?"

"We were originally thinking that, however, having weak members all in one group gives Order the advantage to select her monsters based on the skill level of each group. Instead, having a variety of skill is important. But I wouldn't refer to them as weak. Our goal is to have the majority of the campers strong by the end of training."

I opened the doors to the mess hall and the counselors walked out, including my army and myself. Just as I was about to leave for my cabin, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I whirled around to see Annabeth standing there.

"Hey," she said softly.

"Oh... uhm... hello."

I mentally facepalmed. F**k.

"Look," Annabeth sighed, "I know my apologies might get repetitive, but... I wanted to say I'm sorry again--"

"No, it's okay," I cut her off.

She reeled.

"Really?" she stared in disbelief.

"See you around... wisegirl." I said the last part really quietly and fast.

"Okay... bye, Seaweed Brain."

I froze at her nickname for me but watched as she went away. I frowned, going back to the Chaos cabin to take a nap... what? Chaos gave me the old lady habits!

I was dreaming... and that's when I realized where I was. The Void. I saw orange eyes and brown hair.

"Percy!" she hissed, pulling me into her tent. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm... sleeping."

She frowned before sighing.

"I am, too. Look... I know what happened between us was... strange."

"Yeah," I exhaled deeply, "It was."

"I've... never felt that way about anyone before," she sighed, "So... it's strange. Because every time that feeling comes to me, it's always taken away. Just like you were."

"Hannah, remember what I told you? It's never too late to turn back. No matter how bad things are."

She frowned before staring at me.

"Have you ever lost a love before?"

I thought of Annabeth immediately.

"Yeah," I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Go on... tell me who she is," Hannah said.

I chuckled.

"You remind me of her, Hannah. A lot. Her name's Annabeth... she and I met when we were twelve years old at the camp Order's putting an attack on. I was a son of Poseidon--"

"Wait... I thought your father was Chaos," Hannah frowned.

"Well, it is. But Poseidon claimed me to be his son. It was a disguise. I had actually no idea I was Chaos's son at that point. Really, all I wanted was a normal life, but the gods sent me a quest when Zeus's lightning bolt went missing. So when I arrived, I had just battled some Minotaur and when I woke up, I was greeted by some girl with blonde princess curls and gray eyes."

"Annabeth," Hannah seemed to understand, but I could hear a strand of jealousy laced in her words.

"Yeah. She and I became friends eventually. She was a daughter of Athena--"

"Athena and Poseidon hate each other," Hannah frowned.

"Yeah, but... we didn't. We became close friends... actually, best friends. That's when I was fifteen in my freshman year and... everything kinda tumbled. You see, I kinda blew up a volcano and before that she kissed me when she realized I was going in alone in the Labyrinth."

Hannah stared at me for a quick second.

"YOU DID WHAT?!"

"Hannah, are you okay?" a call from outside sounded.

"Uhm... yeah! Don't worry!"

She turned back to me.

"You did what?" she whispered.

"Blew up a volcano. Anyways... then, it was my birthday and... we sorta just kissed. She became my girlfriend and we experienced everything together. I even fell into literal Tartarus for her."

Hannah stared at me again.

"Again, WHAT?"

"Yeah. I was stupid."

"And then the betrayal happened... and we broke up. My father disowned me. And... I was done. Again, how stupid was I? The stupidest."

Hannah paused, looking at me.

"Maybe you are stupid... but your love for her isn't."

I could tell she was jealous. I mean... she KISSED me and now we were talking about someone I had also kissed. AWKWARD.

"Tell me about your love," I told her.

She paused before looking down.

"I never had one."

That's when the dream faded into nothingness.

I woke up with a start.