Chapter 7 || Granted More

PERCY JACKSON

I was in the infirmary and the doctors were dribbling godly nectar into my side wound, patching it up with all kinds of ointment and bandages. Then, they moved to my nose. They numbed it first of all, and then they stuck this thing in it to try and adjust the broken bones to be aligned and straight. Then, they put some splint on it. I got a good amount of ambrosia and nectar before the rest of my friends were flashed in and they got their wounds treated.

Chaos flashed in a short while later.

"Okay... you all passed!"

"Yay..." we all groaned.

"Aw... you're supposed to go... YAY! YAY! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!" Chaos pumped his fists in the air.

"Can't you tell we're tired?" Zoë rolled her eyes.

"I can," Chaos smirked, "But I want to annoy you."

We all groaned again and Chaos tapped his foot.

"Don't give me that teenage attitude!"

"We're over 700 years old," I raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Oh... uhm..." Chaos tapped his fingers together, "I'll leave you to it..."

I sat, staring at the ceiling. Thinking of all my emotions. And I had no idea why, but all of a sudden, it was like emotions were the only things I could feel. Most of the time, my heart was full of nothing but calm and coldness. It was my way of blocking out any pain I've felt in the past. And it was the only way to.

"Percy..." I heard Zoë start, "W-What happened to you?"

I turned to her.

"I literally told you a couple of hours ago," I said, "Get your facts straight."

"No, we understand... but... what happened? Where did the old Percy go?"

"He's dead, Zoë. The old Percy was stupid, thinking he could be kind, have kind friends, and live life in peace when all his life, it's been bad luck."

"And... And the new Percy?" Luke stuttered.

"The new Percy's been alive for 728 years. That's 710 years more than the old Percy did. And... the new Percy's still stupid, thinking he can escape the past. Which is why Percy Jackson is dead."

"No you're not, you're alive and talking to us," Beckendorf frowned.

"No. I'm Thalost. Percy Jackson is Percy Jackson. And Percy Jackson died."

"But... Percy Jackson lived better than Thalost... right? Percy, are you happy?" Silena asked, staring straight at me.

And for the first time, I was stumped. I had no idea how to answer this question. My life... for 728 years... has been lonely. No one to laugh with. No one to share food with. No one to watch movies with. It's been me and killing evil people. A constant cycle for 728 years. No celebrations. No nothing.

But did I like loneliness better than being surrounded by people who can betray you in an instant?

"I'm... I'm happier lonely than having the chance to be betrayed," I said, finally.

"But... we're your family," Ethan whispered.

"And you know what my family did to me?" I whipped my head around, even if my nose throbbed. "They stabbed me in the back. I got stabbed in the back by people who gave me life. You wanna know why I have no interest in joining armies or even having friends? Because I don't deserve it. Because I can't trust anyone ever again."

It was silent. And I appreciated it.

"But... maybe you can," Zoë whispered, "Percy, we've loved you since Day 1. Why do you ever think we'd hurt you? If you're not gonna trust anyone, at least trust us."

"Yeah, at least try--" Lee started but I felt anger bubbling inside of me.

"I am done trying!" I snapped, "I'm a cold-hearted assassin because I trusted people so much and they took advantage of that to kill me."

"At... At least you deserve people who care about you," Micheal whispered.

"And who cares about me? Who in this whole f**king universe cares about me? I don't even care about myself!"

With that, I turned over on my good side, which was, luckily, facing away from them.

"Percy..." Bianca trailed off, not knowing what to say.

I didn't blame her. Even I didn't know what to say.

___

Chaos had walked in a couple hours later, breaking me from my moments of silence.

"Okay! Percy, you're up first for blessings!"

"Chaos, f**k the blessin--" I started but Chaos threw a golden orb at me and I could only stare at him as the light traveled through my body, setting my whole body alight like a night light.

Then, I felt myself changing. I felt... for the first time... hope. It was like warmth melting my icy heart just enough to thaw it slightly. And that was enough. When the glow died down, I stared at myself.

"GAHHH!" I yelled when I saw myself in the mirror.

I had wings. Black wings. My face was the same. I was an inch taller and my build was even more muscular. Everyone was staring at me. Chaos stared and for some reason, there were tears in his eyes.

"Chaos... why am I wearing a golden crown and why did my eyes change?"

I gave him the most frightened look I've ever given someone in my life.

"Percy... uhm... there's no easy way to say this... but you're a primordial of all primordials."

"WHAT?!"

"And my son."

"WHAT?!"

"And you get a pet named Pini."

"WHAT?!"

"And you're the damn prince of the universe."

"IT'S DAM!" I replied before pausing. "AND WHAT?!"

Gods... 728 years and I still can't let go of the dam joke. Thalia, Grover, and Nico used to joke with me about it all the time. I thought about them. Their faces. I guess they stopped loving me.

Or maybe they never loved me from the first place.

"Gods..." Luke sighed, putting his head on his pillow. "This is gonna take a lot of explaining."