Chapter 27

---Lane's POV---

I shouldn't have been too surprised to see Mason front and center, as well as several members of my former pride. A few of the runner ups for the Elder Council, probably here to showcase that they were fit for a leadership position.

However, I was stunned at the fact that among these feline representatives, I found my own father standing there.

A snort left my body before I could stop it, relaxing when Jethro's fingers curled through my scruff. I arched into the gentle scratching, ears flickering at Jethro's low chuckle.

This was the first time for my shift to meet its parental figure yet it only gave my father one look before dismissing the man all together.

Both of us could feel all eyes on us, especially from the Feline representatives. It was highly amusing to see several of them, whom were within their animals shapes, were dwarfed by my own tiger. Especially so because I was still maturing.

As it was, the black maned lion quickly made way, jaw slack as I walked past. Thanks to the steady supply of full meals I received from Jethro, it seemed like my tiger had a delayed growth spurt.

While it wasn't a lot, when I turned to face the lion, unintentionally showing off the scars on my left side and the milky white eye, I was staring down at one of the rulers of my former pride.

And he didn't seem to recognize me nor did he seem as arrogant and powerful as before. In fact, he cowered at the mere sight of me, lowering his head and averting his gaze much to the surprise of the few younger lions present.

No longer did I see these felines as sources of power to be feared, to cower and tremble for. Instead I saw entitled toddlers throwing temper tantrums because they didn't get their way.

The room was silent, except for the low rumbling growl that kept slipping from my chest as I walked alongside Jethro. Claws tapping delicately on the marble floors, echoing along the way.

"Lord Jethro," Lady Alurea smiled tensely, correctly interpreting the cool aura around my master. "Thank you for blessing us with your and your mate's presence." The Phoenix eyes flicked lazily towards the gathering of felines, all whom were staring at me in awe.

And cringing away when Jethro leveled them with a venomous glare, as he recognized that black maned lion through my memory.

After all, I've had a very good and close up look from that particular lion's claws and teeth. Clearly none of them recognized me but they sure as hell realized that they pissed off a dragon.

The rest of the Council observed with amusement and I even saw Isabelle perking up in her seat, eyes wide in excitement.

"Well? What was the reason that we were summoned?" Jethro sneered down at the feline with murderous intent, obviously contemplating not if, but how to get rid of the cat.

By law, he would be completely in his right. Even when we weren't technically mated, the fact remained that this feline shifter had attempted to claim my life.

To claim something what had always been and always will be Jethro's.

Contentment and pride flushed over the link in a silent praise as Jethro wholeheartedly agreed with my mental statement.

"We wanted to... verify that your mate was indeed one of us." Mason purred smoothly as the black maned lion, Julian, shifted without care, changing himself lazily.

Jethro snorted at that, a hint of smoke escaping his nostrils as he snapped "My mate is not one of yours." He motioned towards my position by his side, adding "Unless your noses are broken, none of you can smell any pride connection with my mate."