Chapter 15

---Jethro's POV---

A nose nudged against my throat, attempting to nuzzle even closer before a content sigh left the sleeping body besides me.

Well, Lane was hardly besides me, as he had snuggled on top of my chest in the middle of the night, legs intertwined with my own, face resting against my throat as his body ever so slowly slid to the side.

My arms had come up on instinct, cradling my precious boy against my body, making sure he didn't jar himself awake by sliding off and flopping on the bed.

A minuscule part of me was forced to admit I didn't want Lane to simply lay down on the bed in the first place. I've come to crave his attention, the way he seeks my permission, how he needs my approval in whatever he does.

It's addictive.

My eyes slid down to where he had settled, a shadow of a smile on his lips as they whispered against my skin. The soft, steady puffs of breath let me know he was still deeply asleep and not at all aware of how he was teasing me.

I could feel his every move against my skin; each tentative breath he took, expanding his chest and creating a soft pressure against my own until he exhaled in a puff of air that rushed over my throat. How his fingers twitched mindlessly in a never-ending dance of flexing and contracting, showing just how utterly pleased he was.

It made my heart pulse erratically as my own fingers trailed delicately over his spine, pressing gently until I felt the beginnings of his purr slowly vibrate against my chest.

I kept the touch as light as possible though, wanting Lane to keep sleeping for a while longer. He'd need his rest after I kept him awake for several hours after all.

My body heated up at the thought, liquid heat pooling in my groin at the reminder of our play last night. A low growl escaped my dragon that I quickly stifled down when Lane stirred in his sleep.

Further down the hall, a sound of an opening door squeaked through the hallway and I sighed, knowing I'd be forced to place Lane down to deal with our uninvited guests.

Cradling the back of his head with my palm, I slowly rolled to my side, regretfully allowing him to slip off my body and settle on the bed.

I paused when Lane's face scrunched up, eyes blinking lazily before one bright golden eye managed to pry open with a great deal of effort. Judging from the empty look, I knew Lane was still deeply asleep.

His tiger had pressed its consciousness to the forefront, an instinctual behavior to make sure Lane was safe. I smiled reassuringly, hands pressing gently into Lane's skin in a soothing manner.

"It's okay pet. Go back to sleep."

His heavy lidded eyes blinked slowly before he let out a chuff and nuzzled into the bedding. A smile grew on my lips when I saw Lane's nostrils expand in delicate whiffs, a purr rumbling through his chest until his breathing settled once more into sleep.

For a while I could do nothing but stare down at him, watching the steady breaths that puffed past his pink lips, the minute changes in his expression as he slept or the way his nose twitched whenever he moved, catching a new waft of my scent.

A soft, almost hesitant knock sounded on the door, making me bite back a growl because damn it, just sitting here and observe my sleeping boy was addicting!

Opening up the door, I did my best to fight back my dragon and forced a neutral expression on my face. I doubted it worked, as the she-wolf was shaking slightly and quickly averted her eyes down towards her fussy son.