Chapter 31

---Jethro's POV---

The prides didn't like the consequences of their actions at all. The second that the Council had summoned the next in line and revealed their plan, the Lion had thrown a fit at the mere idea.

Because to the prides, having to be governed by an outsider, one of their kind that had been banished because of his impurities was...unheard of.

I knew exactly how those conceited bastards were thinking. There was no doubt in my mind that they were already plotting a way to dispose of Lane, to make him disappear without a trace so they could go along their merry ways.

Too bad for those old farts that I'd be with Lane at all times. I didn't trust those felines enough to let Lane be alone for a single heartbeat.

We would not even eat, drink or sleep there out of a precaution. Even if they proved themselves to be trustworthy, that rule was less for our benefit and more for their safety.

Because if I had to stay within the vicinity of felines that had mocked, assaulted and threatened the life of my mate, you could be damn well assured there would be a sudden surge of volcanic activity within the area.

Very localized volcanic activity.

Even now, with that miserable cub ranting on and on about how they were a proud species, how they weren't governed by outsiders, I was fighting to restrain myself.

And judging from how the mewling cub suddenly grew quiet, he had noticed the steady puffs of smoke I exhaled.

"You wish to be a separate entity all together? To separate yourselves from the reach of the Council?" Lady Alurea asked, raising her eyebrows while Vladimir's eyes sparked with interest.

"If that is what it takes to be free from any outsiders meddling with our affairs then-" The male lion paused when Lady Alurea silenced him momentarily, finger delicately raised to give him pause.

She leaned forwards in her dais, looking down upon the late Julian's whelp. "May I remind you Connor, that should you proceed to retreat from the coalition we have, and the rules we have set up to govern and aid those under our rule, you abdicate from any negotiations as well?"

Connor stilled, a small, near imperceptible tremor shivered through his limbs as his eyes slowly moved towards Vladimir as the vampire snickered.

"To put it in a way your small, airheaded brain understands Connor. If you step out of the Council's reach, you lose the protection we provide to you and your kin. Meaning that there will be nothing that prevents Lord Jethro here from racing you to your pride lands and give you all your just punishment."

A low, eager snarl rumbled through my throat, only slightly muffled as I languidly scratched through Lane's hair. Eyes pinned on the shivering furball as he slowly turned his gaze towards me.

"To be completely honest with the Council, I like this proposal a lot more." I smirked, baring shifted teeth, cinders sparking through the air as I sat straighter.

"Aye, yer not the only one." Tethras grumbled as he rested his chin on his fist, glaring at the lion. "We've had too much shite to clean up behind these pricks. They stop fucking up once they're dead."

A few agreeing huffs sounded through the room as Connor swallowed thickly and rushed to scramble back. "N-No, now now, th-there's no need for any...h-hasty decisions." He gulped, eyes flitting towards my mate as if hoping, praying that he'd come to his aid.

Lane didn't give him so much as a sideways glance, instead arching into my scratching fingers, oblivious of the eyes on him.

Instead, his full focus was on me. I could tell in the way his body flexed and moved with the slightest gesture I made, how he leaned against me, allowing his soft purrs to vibrate through my skin.