Chapter 20

---Jethro's POV---

Vladimir smirked as he walked up beside his older brother Alaric, amused as the formerly proud and confident Alpha Curtis had managed to soil himself in front of all the Council members.

Most likely the fear that was stinking up the room was what caused the Alpha to wet himself, though it also could be an instinctual display of absolute submission.

Both of the Dracula siblings wore matching smirks that were slightly unsettling. It was something that they had inherited from their great uncle Vlad Tepes Dracula, after all.

The stories didn't do the legendary family any justice because like most things in life, people assumed they were that; stories. Everyone assumed that the legends and myths around the vampire had been exaggerated when they had in fact, been watered down.

Both siblings were representatives from Romania, mostly due to their famous name and family ties. What vampire in their right mind would create a fuss at the Council that has ties to the great and famous Dracula, after all?

Even the unruliest of vampires would instantly obey when the Dracula name was dropped. And if they didn't, Alaric and Vladimir both showed exactly why their great-uncle achieved the nickname "The impaler".

I smirked when Lane didn't seem the least bit intimidated, instead watching the show with interest and a hint of disgust. He rubbed his cheek against my leg when he noticed he had drawn my attention, making me chuckle gruffly.

"Damn, he sure is a big one, isn't he?" Vladimir stated obviously, grinning like a kid being guided into a candy store. He licked over his fangs in excitement before sighing when his older sibling clasped his shoulder warningly.

"Though it takes a lot to kill vampires, even I know that we're no match against a dragon's wrath, Vlad." Alaric spoke calmly, most likely to sooth my smoldering anger from exploding.

Vladimir smiled sheepishly, rocking back on his heels to whistle an awkward tune as he realized he was overstepping his boundaries.

Not anymore than Curtis, but the yipping pup had already managed to piss me off and Alaric knew not to push anymore buttons.

Dragons didn't take kindly to insults after all, nor did they follow the rules of society. If they wanted something, they took it without questions asked.

And once they had a treasure hoard worth keeping, they protected it with their lives. The only way one could get their hands on a dragon's treasure, was by slaying the beast.

Luckily there were only a few left of my species but still. The older and bigger the dragon, the more power they had. Even an adolescent dragon was more powerful than most of the members on the Council.

Lane bunted against my thigh, purring only deepening when my fingers easily dipped into his scruff, finding all the spots that made him shiver and twitch.

It made me eager to seek the isolation and privacy of the room the council had dedicated to me. After all, I was an honorary member and they took great pride that they were on good footing with a dragon.

"Vladimir and Alaric, this is my mate Lane. Lane, sweetheart, these are the two vampire representatives of the Council, related to Dracula himself.

Lane chuffed in greeting, whiskers twitching as he eyed the two curiously. Alaric kept a polite distance, eying Lane curiously whilst Vladimir looked like a child in a candy store.

Vladimir and Alaric could easily be mistaken for twins at first glance; pitch-black hair that draped over their shoulders like an oil spill, haunting blue eyes that pierced through your very being, and an angular jaw that gave their faces something feral.