Chapter 32

---Lane's POV---

While the Council waited for Lady Morona to arrive, I explained them in full detail of anything and everything I knew of the Pride.

We all knew that Connor's helpfulness was very limited due to the hold the Pride had on him. And while one could say that technically, the Pride had no way of finding out if Connor broke his vows, I knew better.

The Elders liked to preach purity and segregation, but they weren't above hiring people beyond the borders of the Pride lands to do their dirty work.

It made it even easier, as ties with the Prides were less likely to be proven. Why would the proud Felines of the Pride Lands work with someone they deemed beneath them?

While they hoped that the Council would fall for that ruse, they were also heavily underestimating a supernatural's basic intelligence.

And the Council's power.

Because what sane supernatural was willing to gain the ire of the Council, powerful beings that were elected by themselves. Creatures that were faced with spine chilling decisions on a daily basis.

When, not if, the Council restrained these Pride spies, they would blubber away in a pitiful attempt to save their hides and betray the Felines quicker than they could blink.

Still, I was worried the Pride lands Elders were conspiring something wicked. Something that would be followed with unforeseen damages to not only the felines, but multiple communities that were innocent.

Yet as I explained every little aspect I could remember to the Council, they didn't seem worried in the least. In fact, several seemed to relax the more I explained, which led me to the assumption that they had expected as much.

"Indeed Kitten. The Council has many tricks up their sleeves and won't reveal them to any outsiders." Jethro's voice rushed over me like a soothing balm, pushing back against the growing anxiety.

Plus, his revelation made me glance at Connor and then at the Council members, how at least one of them was always observing the young lion.

Analyzing his every twitch and micro expression.

"Thank you Lord Lane. Connor, if you'd please follow Uriel to a room prepared for you. We will call you later this evening to discuss our findings."

Surprisingly, Conner didn't even protest, instead bowed lowly and returned the gesture towards Jethro and myself before following the guard who was patiently waiting for him.

As soon as Connor left the room, Vladimir huffed and placed his boots back upon the table in front of him. Much to the chagrin of Lady Alurea, who was glaring at his boots before she let out a deep sigh.

"Vladimir, please can you care about some decorum?" She hissed with exasperation. The vampire smirked, slowly lifting his boot off the table only to cross his feet over one another with an exaggerated huff.

"You know as well as I do that Vladimir lives to antagonize you, Lady Alurea." A breathy voice murmured, drawing my attention to a lithe figure that approached the table.

Their emergence puzzled me, as I tried and failed to properly identify this person as they approached.

A delicate yet definitely musculature shape hidden underneath loose clothing swayed with each delicate step. Even the folds of the fabric seemed intentionally placed as to hide any sense of gender from this person.

Black hair delicately framed their face, the long strands merging into an undercut speckled with hints of silver.

"How can I forget, when he keeps reminding me on a daily basis?" Lady Alurea asked rhetorically before smiling. "It feels like ages since I've last seen you. How was the trip?"