Chapter 6

---Jethro's POV---

My eyes opened the instant I heard the soft creaking of the wooden floor near Lane's room. Without making a sound, I pushed myself up and out of my bed as my eyes scanned the darkness. The house was quiet in the middle of the night; a few crickets chirping outside and the wind softly blowing through the grass the only sounds I could pick up.

That and the soft growl that came from Lane's room before I heard his door being nudged open forced me to leap into action. Within seconds I stood in the hallway, leaping down the stairs and landing quietly as the backdoor was nudged open.

The moonlight was obscured by the clouds but it was just enough to see the faded outlines of the big cat as it hopped from the porch and strutted towards the forest. A quiet grumble left its chest, tail flicking as it made its way in between the trees.

"Where are you going, you brat?" I murmured softly, watching as the massive beast flickered its ear slightly. Cursing under my breath, I observed the way it walked, eyes narrowing when I saw it limp the slightest bit.

Little shit tore open his stitches while shifting.

I pushed off the porch, calmly walking behind the young shifter. Even though I was pissed that it had ignored my simple orders, I was more angry with the fact that his cat had more than likely pushed the boy aside and in turn, managed to tear the stitches as it shifted.

From my interactions with Lane, it was quite obvious he knew I was in charge and wasn't even inclined to fight for control. Over the past few days he'd been the epitome of confused submission, trying his best to blend in with his surroundings while at the same time observing everything closely.

It was as if he'd been a ghost in his former pride.

Yet as it walked further in the woods, I realized it actually knew I was following it. The cat flickered its ears again, tilting its head slightly so I caught a glimpse of the deep scars running over his muzzle, a milky white eye still managed to find me as the feline stared right back at me.

A sound rumbled through the air as I approached and I had to bite back the snarl that my shift produced. It quickly realized why my shift quickly stopped snarling, for the yowl Lane had produced wasn't threatening or even warning.

It was the sound a cub would make, calling out to its parents.

I sighed, scratching the back of my neck as he continued to call in regular intervals, ears pitched for a response. Fucking hell, no wonder his shift was so on edge and forcing its way out. Lane's animal could clearly tell what kind of shifter I was and was more than intimidated.

And normally, the parents of any shifter would be there when they first shifted to their animal, to sooth and coax their child into their world. Lane didn't have that luxury and that was very rare.

Even orphaned kids could count on their pack, clan or coven, no matter what the species. Lane had no-one but myself and given that I was a predator, by far larger and more powerful than he'd ever be, his shift was scared shitless.

But I remembered the way it had snarled and stood up for himself, testing the boundaries I had created. The kid got some spunk alright. However, now it was calling out to a parent that couldn't and most likely wouldn't respond.

He didn't move when I approached, only flicked its tail before I came to a stop beside him, gently rubbing through his fur. A chuff escaped him as he rubbed against my hold before looking up when I cleared my throat.

"For your sake, I hope I don't see a speck of blood when we get inside." I growled, causing him to hang his head with a low whiny sound. He bunted against my stomach with a light mewling sound but I kept staring at him sternly.