everglow: two

Some days after the break-up - Flashback

The heavy door stands before him and memories decide to pay an intense visit to his mind. He shakily exhales and bites on his bottom lip. Right now would be perfect for a smoke but he quit to become a social smoker, simply because of Nia.

Nia entered his life with intentional improvements. From skincare to hair care, things changed. The fans noticed his physical looks took a sweet change and noted that he was clearly influenced by his partner. Things changed both externally and internally.

Before Nia, he was drowning in fame and built an entire personality on his career. With Nia, he was able to step away and be a little more grounded. There were suddenly more events with friends and chosen family.

Suddenly, sleep wasn't overlooked and therapy wasn't mocked. It wasn't as if she enforced these healthier habits, he just observed how she lived and simply implemented her elements in his own life.

When he met Nia, she was whole and focused on living her own intentional life. They complemented each other in many ways and this feels hard.

The door opens to an uninterested best friend on the other side and he coldly enters the flat. It smells like a home he has to stop visiting.

As usual, there's music softly playing in the background and there's the smell of Ethiopian coffee mixed with her perfume hanging in the air above them.

The two men stand facing each other and her absence is obvious. The male best friend gestures at the box containing his stuff and he cringes at how formal this has to be.

"She's not here," Zayn starts.

"I know," Harry clears his throat.

"So, why are you here?" Zayn frowns.

"To get my fucking things, what else?" Harry softly snaps.

"Down with the attitude," Zayn slowly warns.

"Or what? You'll tell your bestie to break up with me? Oh, wait," Harry mocks with a nasty chuckle.

Zayn pauses before replying and studies the man before him. Harry always had a light whenever he walked into a place. That light is not present. The man before him has grown darker than usual.

He looks like his everyday self with the outfit but that's for the press and fans. The breakup is certainly doing a number on him and Zayn thinks he deserves that for hurting Nia.

"You didn't come here to fight me," Zayn reminds him.

"Who knows? Maybe a good punch is all I need to release the anger," Harry raises an eyebrow.

"You can't touch me and we both know that," Zayn shrugs.

"I'll hit you to sleep, don't tempt me," Harry hisses, staring at his box of items.

"Find a healthy outlet, you'll be fine," Zayn suggests.

Harry physically shudders like ice has been thrown at him.

"Don't pretend to care, it's disgusting," he chuckles again.

"I'm not pretending." Zayn sighs.

"According to you, I'm the villain and you don't care what happens to me, be honest." Harry gives him a sarcastic smile.

"You did something stupid. Actions have consequences, Harry," Zayn replies.

"Fuck you," Harry giggles.

There's tense silence after that and he calmly walks over to the box. It's a box of several gifts he has given Nia and several items he left in her flat.