everglow: eighteen

Flashback.

When Nia returns to the shared flat with Harry, she fights a smile and holds onto the slender velvet box in her hand. The gift she specially ordered for her boyfriend was finally delivered and she's so excited to show it to him.

It's a sweet gift to celebrate his new album and how much work he put into it. Harry has always been the best gift giver in the relationship and it's time for him to get treated.

It's a sweet and simple gift. Extremely thoughtful and something she deeply hopes he'd appreciate.

However when she returns, the mood is a little darker than when she stepped out. She shrugs off his black suede jacket that she loves to wear and sniffs it in the air.

Cigarettes.

Harry only smokes when he's going through a depressive episode or feeling extremely dark. He hasn't been in a dark place in a long time and she feels herself gulp in anticipation.

Nia takes off her boots, leaving her colourful socks on and pads through the living space.

There's no sign of Harry but the smell of cigarettes heavily dances in the air and she wrinkles her nostrils, annoyed. The last time he resolved to smoke, they had a big blow out and she braces herself for another one.

"H?" she calls out, scanning the living space for him.

No answer.

Nia clears her throat and follows the smell of the cigarette. Right there, she sees his hunched frame.

Harry is alone in the private balcony with a burnt out cigarette between his fingers, allowing the ashes to fall on his knuckles. She gently slides the door open and joins him.

The view is beautiful but he's not staring at anything. The man looks like he's been out of it and she wonders what the hell happened in the two hours she managed to step out.

She calmly sits down next to him and he snaps his head to finally notice her presence.

"Shit, you're home," his voice is groggy.

"You smoked a lot, already?" she points out, knowing how they thicken his voice.

"Nah, just tired," he clears his throat and flicks it nowhere in particular.

"Hey H, are you okay?" Nia frowns, more concerned than annoyed.

"Sure, why?" Harry blinks at her.

"You're smoking," she points out.

"No shit," he gives a rude smirk.

"No, drop the attitude with me," she warns, subtly.

"Sorry, shit. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have smoked," he realises, sitting up.

This makes her move closer to him and put an arm around his deflated shoulder. His eyes are puffy and red. If she didn't know this man, she'd assume that he cried.

It's not impossible but she doesn't think she has ever seen him that vulnerable.

"What happened? Are you okay? Is it Zayn? Is it Jeff?" she tries to guess.

"They're fine," he forces a smile her way.

"Don't fake a smile, just talk to me," she begs him.

"Uh...yeah," he licks his bottom lip. "Did you see some woman leave here on your way in?"

"No, it was clear," she replies.

"Oh shit, she left a while ago. Your lad is a little out of it," Harry chuckles.