everglow: fifteen

Flashback

Harry's eyes heavily flutter awake and he stares at the beautiful sight before him. Nia is staring at him with her lazy eyes and she's fresh awake from sleep.

Their fingers are still intertwined and their scents are lingering off each other's skins. Nia sniffs as she brings his knuckles to her mouth for a soft kiss.

He adjusts his gaze and looks around to notice that he's in her bedroom in her flat. It smells like lavender and a brush of mint. It's warm and feels like a proper safe haven for Nia.

The woman is almost perfect in how she deals with everything. Nia loves herself and it shows in how she takes care of herself. She's clear on her boundaries and knows her worth as a human being.

It's admirable how open her heart is and he's a little scared that she's too good to be true.

Noticing his lost stare, Nia cosies up to him and repeatedly kisses the corner of his mouth to bring him back to the present.

Harry clears his throat and frowns just a little.

"What - Why are you eating my mouth off?" he groans out.

"You were staring into my soul," she chuckles.

"Was I now?" he hums.

"Yeah, sort of cute and creepy at the same time," she replies.

"Pardon me, I was lost in your beauty," he wiggles his eyebrows.

"It's hard to believe you," Nia smiles.

"C'mon, you're beautiful and I like to stare," Harry says.

"I know that, but that's not why you were staring," she counters.

Nia sits up on the bed and leans against the wall, keeping their fingers together. Harry parts his lips to accept that she's right but he exhales.

Whatever they have isn't strong enough for him to get attached yet but he can feel himself slowly slipping away.

It is easy to get attached to this woman because that's how warm she is. Every single thing about her screams safe and sound, but he has never been in this position before.

It has always been him being the aloof one and randomly ghosting. He ghosts and leaves before he's left. That's the silent rule he has lived by and it hasn't always been the healthiest rule.

Things are different and he likes that.

"I was wondering if you're too good to be true," he confesses.

"Wow, you're right. I'm secretly a psychopathic cult leader," she mumbles with a smile.

"I'm so messed up that I would be happy if that's true," he replies.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks.

"About what?" He frowns a little.

"About who hurt you," she tenderly pushes away a stray curl from his face.

"C'mon babe, nobody hurt me. That's such a cliche question to ask after fucking me," he scoffs, getting a little defensive.

"There you go building up the wall and sounding a little annoying," she points out.

"I'm not that transparent," he quips.

"I think you are. I could see through you from the moment you stole my food at that party," Nia smiles.

"Okay, that was banter though," Harry purses his lips.

"Go on, talk to me, love," she encourages.