everglow: ten

"Harry asked for this."

That statement repeatedly rings in Nia's head and the anxiety heightens as they drive in silence back to Harry's flat.

Jeff hasn't demanded a reply and Zayn has chosen to let his friend take her time with making a decision.

Nia isn't sure why Harry would ask for this and she doesn't want to think about it. Their rejuvenated friendship is still at a weird point and for him to specifically make that request, something must be behind it.

No, wait. Nia shrugs that thought off and continues as they approach the private apartment building.

Jeff gives her a supportive smile and continues driving. Reminding herself that she won't be forced to make a decision, she steadies her breath and remembers that her priority is to help Harry focus on his recovery.

Of course, as a friend. All things in the past are done and buried. Jeff picks up a tiny black and presses some buttons as the car approaches a little security gate.

The gate opens and Nia adjusts on her seat as they slowly drive into the private car park area. Nia reaches for her phone in her sling purse and smiles at the messages from Harry.

"Did you mention I'll be coming back with you?" Nia clears her throat.

"No. Let's call it a friendly surprise, why?" Jeff asks, parking in a reserved spot.

"Nothing. He just texted that he's awake and his leg is feeling better than usual," she replies.

"That's a good thing, right?" he fights a smile.

"Hopefully. The physical injury doesn't bother me as much, weirdly," she sighs, looking out the window.

"Trust me, I understand that. You can imagine my reaction when I heard him speak," he drags his eyebrows together.

"It felt like a rug was pulled off - it was so weird," she nods in agreement.

"I was thrown off. I guess I was in denial till I met with him, but it's so great to know he has a friend around," Jeff circles back to the elephant in the room.

Nia chuckles and slowly shakes her head. She expected that.

"Harry has many friends. I mean, we see his pictures of him hanging out with his many cool friends," she smiles.

"Yeah? Well, where are those friends? Sure, they posted a lot on social media for like one day and what next? How many of them have cared to show up for him?" Jeff controls his anger.

"To be fair, some of them sent flowers and that colleague of his showed up," Nia bites down her lip.

"Celine? That must have been super weird for you," he mumbles.

"Not weird, more like frustrating. Hey, it led me to the truth," she shrugs.

"Do you know he also never told me the full truth? I had to use my connections to patch stories together and understand whatever happened with them," Jeff admits.

"Here I was thinking you urged him to do it, for the clout," Nia raises an eyebrow.

"Hey, I want him to be the biggest star ever, yes, but I also respect his wishes," He replies.

"Fair enough. Shall we?" Nia reaches to open the door and steps out.

The air feels a little lighter after that short chat in the car and she's hopeful about her full conversation with Harry.

The walk to the lift isn't as long and Jeff decides to stay downstairs, in case they will need their privacy. Nia rolls her eyes at him and enters the lift with her heart in her mouth.