everglow: twenty four

hi, it's short :)

All I want - Kodaline.

Nia is comfortably curled up on her bed and scrolling through her latest research. It's been going on all evening and she knows if Harry catches her, he will certainly have a reaction.

And that's when the door gently opens. Nia quickly keeps her laptop away and turns to see Harry knuckling at his eyes with a low yawn. The man is hunched and repeatedly pressing his socked feet against each other.

The socks are bright pink and splattered with tiny doodles all over them. It's the same pink with the pink beanie he seems to be currently obsessed with. Nia knows that's a habit he has always had.

Once he likes something, he just fixates and finds it hard to let go of the item. One can say it works the same way with human beings. Harry is deeply lonely and finds it hard to be vulnerable with the ones he loves, so having people stay is something he holds onto.

She looks up to see him wearing an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants. His curls are blossoming in full glory because he still hasn't gotten a trim in a while. The stubble is still there and she's getting used to this cosy look. It's soft and rough at the same time.

He yawns again and waves his hand to get her attention.

"Hi, I can see you, H," she smiles.

"What....you d-doing?" he clears his throat, looking away from her.

"Nothing much, what's up?" she asks.

He frowns a little and wonders if he can just walk out of the room without bringing it up. There's something weakening about being so open and he honestly hates it.

Yes, the pros outweigh the con but locking yourself in your feelings always seems easier.

"Okay...not sleeping," he mumbles.

"You're talking to me and looking at the floor, mate," she chuckles.

This makes him instantly flush pink and he looks up to see her wearing that mischievous smile.

There she is, that warm part of his life. When everything is chaotic and wild, she's the stable force that grounds him. When he has his head in the clouds, she calmly brings him down to earth. When the pride is oozing out of every pore, she humbles him with kindness.

"L-lonely," he confesses.

Hearing this, Nia immediately sits up and taps the side of her comfortable bed.

This is his flat and he's still concerned about boundaries. It's considerate and sweet. He slowly limps without his walking cane and sits down on the edge of the bed. There's something fragile about how he keeps his arms to himself and still avoids looking at her.

"Hi, get comfy in bed. I'm okay cuddling if you are," she points out.

"Sure?" Harry asks with a small smile.

"Very sure," Nia nods, super sure.

Harry moves up on the bed and instantly curls up, resting his back. His curls push up and fall forward even more. Nia gently brings her fingers to whisk them away from his forehead but she can't deny how handsome he looks tonight.

They share an intense stare for a moment and she bites down on her lip. It's very easy for them to slip into old patterns but for some reason they're both willing to let this slow burn thing happen. Harry is extremely vulnerable right now, physically and emotionally.

This man curled up with bright pink socks is different from the man she broke up with. A stray curl lands back on his forehead and he attempts to blow it off. He pouts and looks like the sweetest thing on earth and it messes with her heart.