everglow: eleven

Ed Sheeran - Lego House

Nia is packing. Yes, she's packing some of her things because she's moving in with her ex-boyfriend and new friend, Harry. It's not that complicated. A little weird, yes. But what's new under the sun?

Zayn is assisting her with the packing and there's a car waiting for her outside. The voice of Harry admitting to missing her is swirling around her head but she's currently blocking it out. It was a simple admission and it did not require a reply.

Harry was simply expressing himself and she did not owe him a response. Okay, that makes a shit ton of sense in her head. With an aggressive nod, Nia shoves an oversized sweater into her travelling box and Zayn raises a concerned eyebrow.

"You good?" he asks, calmly.

"Hungry...but I plan on ordering something when I settle in," she replies.

"How are you feeling about this?" He continues with the questions.

"I went from triggered to numb, wonderful," she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Is that a coping mechanism?"

"Why are you asking many questions, Zayn?"

Zayn chuckles and walks over to her. He has known his friend forever and he can see the tension screaming itself through her.

"I'm only concerned. You and whitey are quite sensitive right now," he points out.

"No, he's way more sensitive than I am," Nia smiles a little.

"You know what? I think this is a good idea," Zayn nods in agreement with his thoughts.

"Really? How?" she asks.

"I think the two of you need this. It screams closure and possible reconciliation," he shrugs.

Nia nervously laughs her deep laugh. It's a laugh that booms through the room and it's a mixture of nerves and cynicism. Zayn widens his eyes in concern and watches her shakily place a palm over her mouth to stop the laughing.

"Cl-Closure? Stop it," she darkly chuckles.

"Nia, I'm just saying," he gives her a side-eye.

"No. We're not reconciling or whatever you call it, we're just friends," Nia manages to sound, fighting her emotions.

"Did I say something wrong?" he asks, concerned.

It's not that he said that. It's just that Harry admitted to missing her and she's no longer sure if that's what he's also hinting at. Closure seems overrated if things won't go back to what they were.

Is that she wants though? Does she want to turn back the hands of time with Harry? It brought a lot of pain and anger though. It's best to stay grounded in the present and focus on his recovery.

"No. I'm just defensive for no reason, sorry," she clears her throat.

"Don't apologise, I get it," Zayn pulls her close for a hug.

Without waiting, she instantly hugs him and exhales. This is one of her safe spaces and she's forever grateful for her friendship with Zayn. The hug lasts for a few more seconds and they slowly pull away from each other.

Zayn gives her a smile and finishes up the packing as Nia stays silent with her thoughts. There's a room already prepared for her in Harry's flat and she knows it's going be so good staying in such a beautiful space for a few weeks.

The last time they stayed under the same roof, they slept on the same bed with their long legs constantly getting tangled up like earphone wires.

Both curly haired, they shared the same conditioner and well, Nia introduced him to more earthy ingredients for his diet and skincare. Their lives were entangled and they were just each other's person.