everglow: six

the reads and comments drop with each chapter :'), so close to...

"He suffered a mild seizure,"

Nia feels like her heart is about to explode as she stands before the eerily calm doctor who is running her through everything that happened.

The call came in during her conversation with Zayn and she had thought the worst had happened.

Right now, they're in the private ward and Zayn is gently cupping her shoulders as she silently shakes.

This time, he cannot deny her strong feelings towards the well being and recovery of this man before them.

Zayn pauses in the middle of the conversation and studies the way Harry peacefully sleeps. He can swear that this is the calmest he has seen of this man.

There's a strange air to the way he's sweetly curled up on the bed with his messy curls slightly draped down his face. The stubble adds a little edge to his look but Harry looks as fragile as ever and Zayn feels a little guilty.

Something is off and different. This is what Nia was struggling to communicate with him back at the flat.

"Why? Why did he suffer a seizure? Hasn't he gone through enough?" Nia manages to ask.

"I understand your feelings but this was a mild seizure and it is unfortunately normal with Traumatic brain injury," the doctor explains.

"He has never had a seizure, never," Nia fights her tears.

"And he likely won't again. It was clearly one off and it might even aid his recovery process," the doctor tries to stay positive.

"What if it gets worse?" she asks.

"No. Harry was awake not too long ago, in fact that's why we called for you," the doctor smiles at her.

"What does that mean?" Nia pauses, sniffing and turning to stare at the sleeping man.

"Not too long after his seizure, he managed to slur out your name. He kept asking for you and we realised that he needed the comfort of a friend," the doctor continues.

"Friend?" Zayn is utterly lost and confused.

Nia slowly nods at him and keeps her focus on Harry. The idea of him needing her after the seizure makes this somehow worse but a little relieving.

It's hard to explain but there's a little relief knowing that he asked for her. Nia doesn't know why that feels relieving and she won't question the feeling.

She tears away from Zayn and walks over to stand next to the sleeping man. He looks so peaceful and relaxed. The colour on his face is flushed and contrasts the ashened description that the doctor gave.

The suffering is a little too much for someone that already feels like the world owes him nothing but love and comfort.

It's harsh on him and Nia hates how protective she suddenly feels about him.

"What happens now?" she breathes out, backing the doctor.

"He'll be up again and we can discuss the options for him when he's discharged from here," the doctor replies.

"Have you spoken to Jeff?" Nia asks.

"Jeff says we should hear from you first," the doctor answers.

"Why?" Zayn feels lost.

"Alright, thank you," Nia gulps and slowly sits on the chair next to the bed.