everglow : twenty three

pardon typos, I have pregnancy brain going on, enjoy xx

Flashback - A Day before the Accident.

Harry silently sits down in the private cafe and he stares at his espresso. He doesn't remember ordering it. He doesn't even remember what led him here.

The familiar smell of eggs cooked with scallions and cheese dances in the air. He gulps and remembers this was their favourite cafe for breakfast dates. Nia loved coming here and hiding away from the busy city.

They would always choose the secluded booth and share a plate of delicious breakfast. It was always sealed with a glass of passion fruit lemonade and a shared plate of lemon tart.

Sometimes she'd just show up here alone and enjoy a single shot of espresso as she tended to work. Something stings the corner of his eyes and he sniffs to fight back the emotions.

If Nia was here, she'd jokingly tell him to feel his feelings and just cry. Alone, he'd never do that. Harry checks his time and sits up, remembering what really brought him here. He looks up and catches her awfully familiar smile.

It was the same small and pale woman who showed up to his flat with wild claims about being family. It shocked him about a year and a half ago. Now, it fascinates him.

Some days ago, a picture of the woman went viral because Fans believed she was the female version of their beloved superstar. Jeff urged him to reach out and follow up, no matter how late it is.

The closer the woman walks to him, the more he sees the perfectly round bump hiding beneath her cardigan. This makes him a little uncomfortable and he gulps, steadying his mood.

"Hi Harry, can I?" she speaks up, standing before him.

"Gemma, right?" he asks, staying cold.

"Sure is," Gemma nods with a smile.

"Yeah - sure, sit," he gestures at the available space.

With a sigh of relief, Gemma shrugs off her cardigan that reveals a simple band t-shirt beneath and the bump is in full sight.

If her claims are true, he knows what this means for him and that's a lot of emotions to deal with. She settles down opposite him and gives him a little smile.

Harry keeps a blank expression and pushes his hair away from his tired face.

"I wasn't expecting a call from your manager," she starts, hand on her belly.

"Can you not do that?" Harry frowns, gesturing at her belly.

"Do what?" she asks, confused.

"The whole pregnancy thing is already uncomfortable, stop pulling my attention to it," he mumbles.

Gemma gets this and pauses. "Oh? Sorry, just dealing with mild cramps. This is how I soothe myself."

"Great, I'm an asshole. Sorry bout tha'," he chuckles, lightly.

"Up north?" She raises an eyebrow.

"What?" he bites back.

"Your accent. It's very mixed but I can catch the northern bit there," she points out.

"You?" He stays calm.

"Army brat so I was raised between places," Gemma replies.

"Lucky. At least I get to tour now," he smiles a little.

"Gosh, that's true. You have a tour coming up, that's so cool," she smiles.

This makes him slowly nod and he exhales, staring at his espresso. He clears his throat and realises they have to go right for it.