everglow: fourteen

After washing up for the night, Nia throws on an oversized hoodie and happily walks into the living room. To her surprise, Harry is calmly reading a book and listening to a song. It's an unfamiliar tune and she pauses as she observes him.

For a while now, he's been resisting anything that reminds him of his life before the accident. She has been unable to reach within and understand how he feels about his career at this point.

Everyone wants to know what will happen with the tour on pause and an album that was almost complete. The tune continues and she hears his rich voice smoothly sing without any breaks.

This is a new song.

It was probably meant to be on the album and it pains her to watch him silently listen to his old self without any recognition. He gently nods along to the song and looks up to see her watching him.

A smile breaks on his face and he pushes his hair with a small huff. Nia returns the smile and clears her throat, trying not to make anything awkward.

"I didn't mean to disturb your little wholesome session," she says.

"No, 's fine," he breathes out.

"That's a beautiful song. One of your painful ballads," she points out.

Harry pauses as he tries to understand her and he slowly nods in agreement. Painful is the right word because he wrote it about their break-up and how he desperately wanted to get back with her.

Why did he randomly decide to listen to it after she said they must keep their personal lives separate? He has no clear idea.

"N-new...new song," he replies.

"I figured. Your voice is a beautiful one," Nia says.

"No...stop," Harry frowns a little.

"You don't want a compliment?" she asks, confused.

"Don't...don't be nice," he answers.

"Okay, I know you're a cocky bastard who's aware of his talent. I'm not being nice, just saying the truth," she shrugs.

"Okay...okay, don't say...to me," he tries to explain.

Nia tucks her hands into the pocket of her hoodie and stares at him with a blank look for a hot minute.

At least this part of this man will never change.

The chaotic arrogant and stubborn streak in him will always be strong. There's something he's not saying and he's clearly not going to say it till she forces the words out of his mouth.

"I'm not doing this with you, mate, no," she slowly shakes her head. "I'm going to the corner shop to get some pads and snacks, okay?"

"Come with?" he asks without a pause.

"To the store?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah...store," he says.

"Harry, are you ready to be seen out and about?" she asks.

"Oh...don't care," Harry pouts as he frowns.

Since he returned from the hospital, he hasn't stepped out of his building and he never looked ready to do that. The world is still curious.

If there's one thing this accident has done for his career, it's to show how much of a big deal he is.

Nia has always known him to be painfully famous but this is another level of fame he apparently has. Fans are planted in every corner they believe they'll find him. Some sincerely care. Some are simply nosy.