everglow: five

PRESENT DAY

Nia watches Harry slowly blink at her and she holds onto her smile, waiting for him to give a response.

Without thinking, she has just asked him to be her friend. It's not the craziest thing she's done but it's a tad scary. This is the former love of her life. This is a man that she swore was going to father her children.

This became the man that allegedly cheated on her with his co-star in a movie.

And right now, she's asking to be his friend. For reasons that she cannot verbally explain.

Harry looks down to see her hand stretched out to him and he remembers how much he loved to hold her hand.

Physical touch had always been their thing and holding Nia felt like the safest place in the world. It is currently the only place in the world, aside from this taunting hospital.

He doesn't know what's waiting for him outside there. This offer of friendship feels strange and familiar at the same time. He doesn't know what this means for them and he's not sure if he wants to question anything.

With nerves, he giggles and his upper lip quivers as he tries to give a response.

"Friend...yes," he clears his throat.

"Really? Thank you," she smiles at him.

Harry gently frowns and shakes his head in defiance.

"No....I....thank," he tries to explain.

"You're saying thanks?" she asks.

"Yes," he replies.

"Well, I guess we're both very grateful people," Nia chuckles.

"Why....ask...friends?" Harry blankly stares at her.

That's a solid question that holds no answer right now. Nia gulps as she struggles to think up a lie or something good enough to cover up her nerves. She notices the untouched lunch and gives a small smile.

"I think you should eat first," she breathes out.

"Oh...," he catches on."No...uh...answer?"

"Am I that obvious?" she asks.

"Yes," he slowly nods and keeps his smile.

The sight of that smile does something to Nia and she slowly averts her tender gaze from him. Something about his innocent smile and how it's able to do many things to her.

Even after a whole year of not seeing each other.

She picks up the extra spoon and stares at his shaky hand. The first attempt was a failure. His anxiety is making the process a little harder than usual. Harry stares at the spoon and realises he doesn't want to make a mess if he tries feeding himself.

This new reality is a painful one as he has never been one to depend on another soul. All his life he has had to show up for himself and be the adult he needed in his life. Of course with the addition of fame, this allowed a rightfully inflated ego and cocky attitude.

Till today, a good number of people still choose to believe that he's an arrogant bastard and he truly doesn't care. Asking for help has never been his thing. He doesn't think it's bad to ask for assistance, but he cannot help but feel weak at the thought of depending on another person.

Fair enough, they just became friends again but depending on your ex-girlfriend isn't exactly a great look. This just makes his lack of friends a little more alarming than usual.