Chapter 9

Ash stood blank as Misty reassured him about Noni. She couldn't have died already. She was so young, Ash thought miserably.
     "Aren't you going to catch that Haunter that followed us?" Misty said after breaking their embrace. He stared blankly at her before he felt a stinging slap on his cheek. He touched the red area gingerly and looked at Misty in astonishment. Misty's eyes were clearly angry as the Haunter looked dejected beside her. "You need to pull yourself together. You wanted to catch a Haunter and there's one right here that clearly needs you. That's the only reason I wanted to come." She said and before he could think, words poured out of his mouth that at the moment seemed right to say.
     "So you don't care about how I feel about you? And the kiss that we shared?! And Noni's sacrifice?! All of that you don't care about?! I don't know why I ever fell in love with you!" He screamed and fell silent. Misty's usually clear eyes were pooling with tears. He realized what he had said and tried to make up for it. "Misty...I'm sorry..." He said weakly and prepared for an explosion of words from her but nothing happend.
     "I don't know why I fell in love with you either." Misty whispered and bolted out the door with tears streaming down her cheeks.
     "Misty! Wait!" Ash yelled but she never came back. Unbeknownst to Ash, Guzma was waiting for Misty to fall into his perfect trap.