Chapter VIII

Annabeth

Annabeth smiled through the window as she saw Bettina's lips crash into Jackson's. She deserved it and more for all she had done. Their frenzied, passionate kisses grew more fierce. Bettina stumbled backwards.

Tegan's telepathy blared into Annabeth's head. Pardon me lovers. I hate to interrupt this wonderful moment.. The daughter of Athena could tell Tegan had directed it towards Bettina and Jackson, but she decided to broadcast it to everyone as to embarrass her friend.

Bettina and Jackson broke apart, an  Annabeth saw their lips moving. After a few moments, Tegan used her telepathy again, sounding more impatient. Y'all. I can only keep Easton contained in her for so long. Soooo... if you want some privacy, then get in here and give me a moment of your time.

Bettina looked visibly frustrated and stomped her foot like a little kid.
Don't look at me like that. I had to save the world and play with demons instead of kissing MY soulmate. Get ya'ass in here. Responsibilities and all that shit, sorry, SCHIST, just like Uncle Ben said.

Annabeth let out a snort at that. It was slowly replaced by a bit of fear, remembering that the protagonist was an arachnid-themed superhero.

The lovebirds began tromping towards the house, obviously annoyed, yet they continued talking and laughing. A wide grin spread on Bettina's face, before the two burst out in laughter.

Annabeth turned around to find Lily's hand wrapped over Easton's mouth. She hadn't heard their earlier conversations, but it didn't take much to figure out what they were talking about.

Tenn approached the soulmates, and glanced at Jackson then pointed to Ellis. "Lancaster, I'd like you to have a talk with this guy here. We need to know if he can be trusted."

Jackson nodded. "All right, I can do that." He walked over to Ellis, dragging Bettina along with him. She was clinging onto her soulmate for dear life.

Ellis looked up at the World Card with calm, amber eyes. "You must be the lie detector Trey talked about. The British guy." Jackson's jaw tensed, then released.

"What is your name?"

"Ellis Heath." Jackson nodded, then moved on.

"Are you here to spy on The Coven?"

Ellis shook his head.

"Are you here to hurt anyone in any way?"

"No." Ellis said firmly, and he shook his head vehemently. "I am on the Coven's side."

"Can we trust you?"

"Yes."

The questioning went on for a few more minutes, until at last, the questioning had been finished. Annabeth was reeling from the information she'd heard, although it was amusing to see Tenn being called "sir" in Ellis' every sentence. Apparently Trey was Joseph's son, and Joseph had been killing people to steal their energy.

After everyone calmed down, Tegan stepped forward. She held out her hand, and the little wooden treasure chest floated to her palm. "We tracked Trey and found him digging this out from the ground. Do you know what it is?" Annabeth leaned forward and held her breath, hoping for an answer.

Ellis shook his head. "No, I do not know what that is...but..."

"But?" Tegan narrowed her eyes. "But you know why Trey was digging it up?"

Ellis looked at Jackson. "I think I do. This may not be accurate, but it's all I know."

Tenn nodded. "Tell us."