Chapter XIV

Percy

While Tegan and Annabeth paced back and forth, conversing with Bettina about Hope and what could be done to find her and the locket; Percy seemed to stare into the very soul of the blue sippy cup in front of him.

He knew there was something important about it, but what? On another note, how did Ruth get her hands on Lethe and Phlegethon water? Was she a Legacy? But that didn't make sense. Even if she had godly blood, it would be crazy for her to risk her life and go through all the trouble the Underworld brought; just to get a bit of Lethe and Phlegethon water.

He didn't even notice that most people had left until Annabeth shook him. He'd completely spaced out, his full attention on the cup before him. However, he still couldn't remember, and sitting there was doing him no good, so he followed Annabeth out of the room.

The daughter of Athena told him that Tenn, Tegan and Henley had gone to Crone Island to see Myrtle, who'd helped them before, so Percy hoped that she could help Tenn as well. Or Haven. That was confusing.

Before Percy could think anything else, an alarm started ringing. He pulled Annabeth alongside him and rushed into the living room, where Bettina and Jackson stood. Everyone burst into the room seconds after they did.

"What happened?"

"What's going on?"

"Joseph?"

"Where?"

Kessler pushed to the front. "Talk to us."

"Warner called. Joseph and Trey showed up in Dallas looking for Ruth's locket. Right before they left, Warner heard Trey say they were going to Ruth's house in Eden." Jackson quickly relayed the situation to them.

Kessler cursed violently. Percy didn't even think somebody as kind as him could swear like that. "CAR. NOW!"

"Wait, we can't all leave!" Emersyn shouted from a few steps up. "What if it's a trap?"

Jackson shook his head. "Warner said he was hiding so they didn't see him. I don't think it's a trap."

Her golden eyes widened. "But what if it is?"

Bettina cleared her throat. "I'll stay here. I can hold my ground, trust me. But my gut tells me we can't all go."

Kessler cursed again.  "She's right. And the house isn't far. We can get back in minutes if we have to."

"I'm not leaving her here by herself—" Jackson started-

"I'll stay with her," Emersyn cut him off.

Hazel held her hands out, and suddenly Mist-copies of everyone else in the room appeared. "I can hold an illusion until you come back."

Frank stood protectively behind her. "In that case, I'm staying here as well."

Kessler nodded and pointed toward the door. "Everyone else, OUT! We gotta move!"

"Damn it, Butterberry." Deacon dragged Em's face to his and kissed her hard, then jumped away and ran for the door. "Burn it all if you must!"

Em chuckled and shook her head. "Love you, too."

Bettina took Jackson's face between her hands. "They need you. Go. Fire, ice, illusion and shape shifting got this."

Percy gripped Riptide, and pulled on Annabeth's hand. "Come on, we have to go."

~~~

"THERE!" Kessler shouted and pointed to a small house on the left side of the road after they'd got out of the car. "End of the cul-de-sac. That's their house."