Chapter XVII

Percy

Sally nearly crushed Percy in a momma bear hug as soon as she opened the door. Tears were streaming down the woman's face. She hadn't seen her own son in a year, after all. Percy gripped his mother back just as tightly, tears forming in his eyes.

"Oh Percy." Sally murmured. "I'm so glad you're safe." They remained there in silence for a few moments, before they gathered themselves together. Sally peered at the crowd waiting rather awkwardly behind him. She gave Annabeth a quick hug, and then her gaze locked on Tennessee and Bettina. Her eyes danced with excitement, but then narrowed. "You all had better come inside, I'm certain you have a lot of questions."

Once everyone had squeezed into the apartment and settled down, (some squished onto the couch, and others standing), Sally spoke.

"First of all, it's good to see all of you again-" she gestured to both the demigods and the witches, "-but would you care to explain why I haven't heard from you since your... trip to Alaska?" Her jaw tightened, waiting for an answer. Her features appeared calm, but Percy could tell there was an ocean of protectiveness and rage stirring beneath the surface.

Percy's face fell as he remembered their failed attempt at retrieving the Athena Parthenos. "It's a long story, but... the Romans destroyed Camp Half-Blood. We had no choice but to run. I didn't want you and Paul to get involved."

Tegan cleared her throat. "Octavian, the Romans' augur, is now working with our enemy, Joseph. They've been turned into shadow-like creatures, and they now seek revenge on the Coven."

Sally's eyes drooped at the mention of Joseph. "Joseph." She grumbled. She glanced at Bettina. "Your adoptive parents told me what happened after Ruth..." She broke off, squeezing her eyes shut.

Bettina tilted her head, staring at Sally. "So you knew my parents?"

Sally smiled. "Of course. We were best friends."

A glimmer of hope sparked in Percy's chest. "Then, you know the story behind this cup?" The son of Poseidon held up the small sippy cup for his mother to see.

Recognition lit up in Sally's eyes. "Honestly, I thought I'd never see that cup again," she admitted, her gaze fixated on the cup. "It just... disappeared one day." Her lip twitched, as if remembering a happy memory.

"We assumed that you were friends, and that either you might've gotten your cups mixed up, or you gave it to her," Tegan explained. "We were also hoping that you could provide an explanation."

Sally's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Well, you were nearly spot on. I think she might've stolen it from me."

Bettina snickered slightly, turning her gaze towards Tegan. "Like a true bestie," she mock-whispered.

A small smile spread over Sally's face. "I did notice that the cup was gone after her visit. I just never confronted her about it. Swapping little things like that was almost like an inside joke for us." She sighed, her gaze wistful. "As for the Lethe and Phlegethon water, I remember mentioning it to her. She must've combined it with her own potion."

Tenn frowned slightly. "Although, now that I think about it, how did she get to the Underworld in the first place? It isn't an easy place to get to."

Sally chuckled. "She summoned Thanatos and went to the Underworld that way. I've seen her do it. She made it her own personal challenge to somehow weasel her way into every forbidden place she could think of."

Percy's jaw dropped, a giant grin on his face. "Are you saying that Ruth just grabbed Thanatos' robes and piggybacked him to the Underworld?"

Sally laughed at her son's wild imagination. "It would be easier to show you, but since we're lacking options right now..."