Chapter 6

"Was someone else here?"

I closed the window, pulled the curtains close and turned to Irene. "Oh, you have no idea."

She closed the door behind her and locked it. I plopped on the couch, Irene put her datapad on the table and crossed her legs on the rug across from me. I told her everything that happened, except for the fact that Arthur had tried getting into my head and that I had shoved him out. I only told her he hurled me to the wall using his telekinesis.

Her forehead lined, "makes sense, I guess. He wants to know who's the human working alongside agents of the Order. You know, I can't believe he left you in one piece after the way you spoke to him. Have you lost your damn mind!"

I snorted, "don't worry, he seems to find me intriguing. So until he doesn't anymore, I'm safe," I paused, "relatively safe."

"And when you're no longer interested?" Irene asked. I shrugged.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough."

Minutes later we were driving in a black SUV. Her car was apparently being cleaned up.

Irene suddenly shook her head, "I still can't believe you talked like that, you really have a death wish," Irene said, "so he didn't bring his killer with him?"

"Killer?"

"That vampire in the office, the one who was about to rip your guts out of your body for being disrespectful."

"Okay, first, I wasn't being disrespectful. That guy isn't my boss, so I don't owe him any ass kissing."

"I can't believe you're referring to Arthur as that guy," Irene murmured in horrified despair.

"And no, he didn't bring his pet assassin," I continued. So the blond vampire was Charles the enforcer. Uncle Robert had told me all about Arthur's squad.

The Enforcer was a vampire made only a couple of centuries ago. What made him special was that he had been made by Arthur. Uncle Robert said that the Five no longer make new vampires, because all their progeny turns out extremely powerful. Having too many powerful vampires would mess with the balance of the world.

I wondered what made Charles the only exception to a rule that lasted centuries.

Anyway, the Enforcer was usually sent to deal with strong vampires who disobeyed the law, or who simply did something to annoy Arthur.

As a human, of course, I was not supposed to know all this. So I kept my mouth shut as Irene talked.

"I've never seen him before," she added, taking a smooth right a little too fast, "he's famous for hunting down powerful vampires that even agents of the Order can't handle."

"You're being very forthcoming with information," I said, because only yesterday she was tight lipped around me.

"It's not like you could do something with this information. And it's not really a secret, per say, people just don't talk much about Arthur's seconds." She paused, then shrugged, "and, I kind of like you. My instincts are never wrong about people, and they tell me you're trust-worthy."

Don't trust me too much. The knot of guilt appeared again, I looked out the window.

"Your wounds don't bother you?" Irene asked.

I cleared my throat, waving my hand dismissively, "I have a high pain tolerance. Besides, they're not that bad, it just seemed that way because of all the blood covering me. Most of which wasn't mine. What should I do with those clothes, by the way?" they were covered with demon blood, and needless to say, if some eager human got their hand on demon blood, they could so some very idiotic things, like summon more demons. Just what we needed.