Chapter 27

"I am not wearing a dress."

I eyed the glittering green dress Amanda had laid out on my bed with horror. It was a gown with a plunging neckline and what looked like tiny crystal beads sewn all over the bodice and part of the skirt. It looked luxurious, a dress that someone who loved parties and dressing up would go crazy over.

Amanda looked at me with her big, blue eyes, pleading. "You don't like it?"

"No, it's stunning," I shifted on my feet, looking away from her gaze, "it's just...I won't be comfortable in a dress."

There were very few accessible places to hide a weapon on a dress, definitely no way to hide a sword, and it would be a real pain to fight in.

We were getting ready for the party. I had barely slept last night, got up before dawn and took a long run in the gardens around the house. My nerves ate at me. It would be my first time mingling with immortals in Europe. Immortals who would be extremely curious about the 'human fae'.

Arthur and I clashed swords after breakfast. It took my mind off the party, but the way my magic kept reacting whenever his skin so much as grazed mine was another worry.

"You could-"

"What are you doing?" Arthur's deep voice interrupted Amanda. He was leaning on the frame of the door we'd left open. His eyes went from Amanda to the dress, then landed on me with a raised brow.

"She doesn't want to wear a dress," Amanda sighed, "it's such a beautiful dress, too, it will make your eyes pop."

"They will definitely pop if I have to wear a dress for an entire evening." I mumbled under my breath.

I winced when I realized what I said. But Amanda looked more amused than hurt. Arthur's lips stretched in a wide smile as he approached us.

"The dress code is formal," he said. My shoulders slumped. I really didn't want to wear a dress. But if everyone was wearing one then I would have to.

"But every guest can bring guards with them," Arthur continued, "the guards have the freedom to wear their own attire, and bring their weapons."

My eyes lit up with hope, "Really?"

"Mhm, Charles will go as my guard-"

"You should have two guards!" I injected, seizing the opportunity to escape the gown. Arthur raised his brows, I continued, "I mean, you're- you're you! It would be very careless of you to only have one guard. And Amanda and Harvey and Kat should enjoy the evening. I don't mind being a guard. Please let me be a guard."

Arthur was struggling not to smile. He looked at Amanda who threw her hands up with a grin, "okay, fine."

She grabbed the dress, shook her head at me, her grin still intact, then left the room.

"Thank you." I breathed out.

"For someone as lethal as you are, a little dress sure petrified you."

"It's not the dress, exactly," I sighed, "I already feel nervous, and wearing an attire that will make it difficult for me to fight or run in case shit hits the fan is not exactly helping."

"Shit will not hit the fan," Arthur said in a serious tone, drawing a smile to my lips, "you're coming as one of mine. No one will put a finger on you, even if they recognize you."

His words were said matter of factly and with such confidence that all I wanted to do was lean on him and trust he would keep me safe. I shook away the unreasonable feeling. I had always counted on myself, and only myself after uncle Robert died. I couldn't let myself burrow into Arthur's arms and let him deal with the threats to my life. That was a ridiculous thought.