Chapter 41

Amanda and Charles followed me.

Of course. They were my guards.

It took all of my efforts not to turn around and lunge at Charles. The suppressed anger wanted out. My magic felt emboldened by it, drunk off the fire boiling my blood. It wanted to ravage and tear the vampire's throat out for daring to hurt me with his words.

It would be so easy. All it would take was a drop of blue fire and he would-

I froze.

"Elle?"

Amanda's voice reached me as if I was underwater. Blood rushed to my ears. There was a moment where the world was painted in shades of crimson before everything turned to normal again.

I fisted my hands to keep them from shaking and resumed my steps, not knowing where I was going.

What was happening to me? Was I really considering attacking Charles with my magic?

My surroundings slowly returned to me. I looked around. We were still in the gardens. This spot was slightly crowded, though. Everyone around looked at me with various degrees of fear and disgust. The human veneer had dropped and my true colors were on full display.

I guess Santos was right. Knowing what I was and seeing it were two different things.

I found a bench shaded by a tree and sat down, one of the castle doors in sight. Charles stood guard behind me. Amanda joined me on the bench.

She must have felt I wasn't in the mood for talking because she kept her silence. I focused on my breathing and ignored the people trapping me with their gaze.

It'll be okay. Everything will be fine. It hasn't even been a day since the spell was broken. Give yourself some time to get used to this and everything will be just peachy.

Right.

Before panic could settle, Burak emerged from the castle. Hilda trailed him. He saw, grinned and headed my way.

I sighed. I really was not in the mood for him.

"Sweet Elle, how are you this fine morning?" he said as soon as he approached, his voice carrying over to the rest of the world.

"Peachy."

"Oh, do smile, my dear. We have an audience," he said in a lower pitch, "you wouldn't want them to think you're losing it, already, would you?"

I stiffened. Burak raised his brows, his gaze invasive. I forced my shoulders to relax and beamed.

"Ah, much better," he clasped his hands behind his back, "yesterday was quite a show. If not for your pet birds, you would've been dead. Casting a sealing spell can leave a person on the edge of eternal rest. Breaking it is no better."

I sucked in a breath and stared at him. What did he just say?

"Lord Burak," Amanda said, "to what do we owe the honor of having your company all to ourselves?"

"Amanda, my dear. You look as radiant as ever," Burak said, "Harvey really shouldn't leave you alone. Someone might become smitten and decide to steal you away."

"I have my own claws, my lord," she replied sweetly. Burak laughed. I watched their conversation, numb, the implication of Burak's words a heavy blow to my chest. My mother, weak from the fight and exhausted by childbirth, had still cast the sealing spell on me.

The spell had drained her dry. And she died.

The bond thrummed. Arthur emerged from the castle, a dark cloud hovering over him and pushing everyone out of his way. He was in a mood.