Chapter 71

Arthur joined my father near the fire, their arms crossed while they discussed something. Doyle's moans swallowed their voices.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked Irene.

"New methods of torture, perhaps," Irene said.

"Probably. They were hostile to each other ever since they met. Torture might just be the thing they bond over."

"Men."

"I want to take offense to your words," Marianno said, amused. "Alas, you are probably right."

I snickered.

"We should go get you ready," Irene said.

"For what?"

"The ball," she said like I was an idiot.

"I'll just put on a dress and-"

"No, you're not. Not when Amanda told me to send her a picture of you in the red dress." Irene shook her head. "I swear, that woman can guilt trip anyone into doing what she wants."

I smiled, because I had no doubt Amanda had done it.

"Let's go, then."

Marianno and Charles stayed with Arthur. Noah trailed behind us, silently watchful. People moved out of our way, whether because of the continued screams of the man who had tried to kill me, or because of the looming werewolf behind us, I couldn't tell.

Staff moved through the castle with purposeful strides, the last few minutes of readying the ballroom for guests.

I looked at Noah with a teasing smile. "Are you going to help us get ready?"

"I don't think I have the skills needed for that," he said, raising his brow and stretching the skin over his scars. "And I like my head attached to my body."

I laughed. "Alright. Just didn't want you to feel left out."

He grunted.

I sighed, my laughter forgotten as we ascended the stairs. "I can't believe we'll be in a ball while a man is being tortured right outside."

Irene shrugged "Someone is always being tortured somewhere."

I guess she had a point. Noah's eyes were heavy on my face.

I turned to him. "What?"

He was quiet. Just when I thought he wouldn't speak, he broke the silence. "Your time with the humans has left its mark."

"Why do you say that?"

"Your... soft heart."

I chuckled. "If you think humans are soft, you'll be surprised. But I see why you'd think that. Cruelty is a mark of strength in our world. But humans are also capable of it, although their brand of violence is oftentimes different from ours, but that's simply because they don't have our powers."

"Maybe so," Noah murmured, and it felt as though those words carried a history behind.

Once in mine and Arthur's room, Noah leaned against the window. Irene and I locked ourselves in the closet.

Irene looked at Arthur's half of the closet and paused, then shook her head. "Honestly, I admire your courage."

I raised a questioning brow. She lowered her voice.

"Just being around Arthur puts me on edge. The amount of power..." she shuddered, her dark eyes wide with wonder. "I can't fathom what it's like to have a bond with him. To let your guards down around him. To sleep in the same bed! Honestly, just thinking about it makes me want to run for the hills."