Part III: Return

Arthur reached Elle's side before she hit the ground. 

She felt so light and small in his arms. It was hard to remember how small she was when she was awake and spouting fire at him.

The witch from whom the burst of magic originated was plastered against the wall by Arthur's magic, her feet dangling above the ground and her airway constricted.

Santos' magic had blanketed the witch's, and Arthur did not notice she was using it until it was too late, until Elle was dropping limp to the ground. 

He had made a mistake. he was supposed to keep her safe and he had failed. 

Just like he had failed to keep his son alive and sane.

"What's happening?" Burak asked from where he stood over Santos. That bastard must have compelled the witch to do his bidding before they entered his rooms.

"I don't know," Arthur replied, his voice too flat even to his own ears. It took all his control to keep his magic from lashing out and destroying everything and everyone in sight. It had been ages since his control slipped. This was the closest he had come to that in decades.

Elle's face was turning pale. Arthur turned to look at Santos. The vampire's eyes were wide with fear, but there was sick satisfaction written all over it.

"What did you do?" Arthur asked.

Santos chuckled, the sound jerky. "Nothing in particular-"

He was flat against to the wall before he could finish. Trying and failing to suck in a breath. Suffocation would not kill him, but it was still painful. 

"What did you do?"

Arthur eased his control over Santos' throat so he could reply. But Santos only grinned. Arthur's magic lashed out, breaking both of Santos' forearms. He tried to scream, but there was no air; his airway was constricted by Arthur once again.

"Let me," Burak offered. Arthur was glad to leave the bastard to his brother's care and turn his attention to Elle.

She was getting colder.

Charles walked in. He was back to normal. Arthur released the witch. The woman dropped to the ground and gasped for breath. She curled into a small ball and started sobbing.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she was saying, "he made me do it, I'm so sorry."

The woman's magic was not familiar. Whatever gift she possessed, it was not common. Arthur looked at Charles and nodded his head to the witch. She was innocent, as of yet. Charles pulled a sheet off the bed and covered her. He spoke softly.

"It's okay. He compelled you. What did you do to her?" Charles asked.

"I'm sorry..." she clutched the sheet and buried her face under its cover.

Charles shook his head. There was no help there. Arthur waited for Burak. He was talented on the mental plane. But mental invasion was challenging on a subject of Santos' age and experience.

Elle's end of the bond was still. As if she was simply asleep. Only Arthur's turbulent emotions travelled through. He held her tighter and ran a finger over her cheek. It was even colder now. Nothing dangerous for an immortal, but it was still alarming.

It was as if she was burning a tremendous amount of energy.

If anything happened to her, hell would break loose.

Burak cursed.

"What?" Arthur asked.

Burak looked at Arthur, his face beaded with sweat and his hazel eyes glowing.