Chapter 34

No one commented on my PDA with Arthur, but Amanda's eyes shone as brightly as I'd ever seen them, and my father focused an impressive blank look on Arthur.

I took a seat on the only armchair left in the sitting room. Other than the armchair, there was a loveseat. But I would gouge my left eye before I shared it with Arthur right now.

Ugh... That was so embarrassing.

I did not regret kissing him, but I certainly wished it wasn't in front of half a dozen people, among whom was my father. Although he was a virtual stranger, he was still... well, my father.

Arthur sprawled on the loveseat, one arm stretched lazily on its back. He did not seem bothered by Orion's look.

"His highness has informed us of what happened," Harvey said, "but I'm curious, didn't you know the man who attempted to kill Elle? He was fae, after all."

"Does Arthur know every single vampire under his rule?" Orion asked, "contrary to common belief, I do not know every single fae's identity and movements. However, I do know that the man in question was not part of my entourage for this trip. He must have arrived in France on his own, or perhaps with someone else."

"Can you find out more about him?" Arthur asked.

"I've already set someone to the task," Orion said.

"Given the way he died, it's safe to assume that another fae is involved in the assassination attempt."

"An earth elementalist." Amanda nodded, "that's the only explanation."

Considering that a root had shot up from the ground, it was a safe guess to make. Another fae had killed him. "To shut him up?" I suggested.

"Most likely," Arthur nodded, "he'd already given us a name. If he wasn't killed, he would have given us more."

Orion was frowning. "Earth elementals are the most common fae. I am one myself, though I can also manipulate water."

"What about the people who came with you?" Kat asked.

Orion's frown deepened. His jaw ticked. He did not like the implication that one of his own might have a hand in this. But already, a fae had tried killing me, so there was no use in denying the possibility.

"Among my company, six are earth elementalists, including Amelia," he said. "I am quite certain, however, that none of them has done it."

"Why?" I asked.

Orion raised his brow at me, "I may no longer be the fae king, but I am still a royal. I have had a sharp eye on the people who came with me since yesterday's events. If they used their magic, I would know."

"How?"

"That, my dear, is a secret." Orion said, his eyes smiling at me.

"Then it's safe to assume that there are other fae in the country," Marioano said, "other than the ones who had been captured yesterday."

"Possible," Arthur said.

"But how did he manage to escape?" I asked, "he must have been close by in order to use his magic to kill, right? But there was no one around."

"He is an Earth elementalist," Harvey said, "he can literally make the earth split and swallow him whole."

Lucky guy.

Silence lasted for a few minutes while everyone processed all the information. 

"Santos," Kat said, "Could it be the Santos?"