Chapter 66

I put on a t-shirt and my boots, and strapped on my other blades for comfort. Arthur followed me as I made my way to the door. I paused with my hand on the doorknob. He had put on his boots, but was still shirtless. I enjoyed the view, but I didn't want anyone else to enjoy it. I scowled.

"You're not going to put on a shirt?"

He grinned. "Why? Afraid you'll be distracted?"

I rolled my eyes. "You're definitely Burak's brother."

With insufferable smugness, he put on a t-shirt. My steps echoed in the quiet hallways. Arthur moved like a ghost.

Our wing was private, and guards kept out of it. But as soon as we left it, the hallways teemed with security. They must have reported our exit the night before to Rion, but there was no rule against taking a stroll outside at night.

The courtyard was empty, safe for the patrolling green and gold guards. The golden fae emblem in their uniforms winked under the rising sun.

The pathways cutting through the garden criss crossed in the center, in a square span of ground covered in smooth flagstones. The perfect spot.

Arthur's t-shirt stretched across his chest as he took position across from me. As one, we unsheathed our swords and threw the scabbards aside.

I took a side on stance that left very few openings and raised my sword. Arthur just stood there, wide open, swinging his sword lazily by his side. Arrogant ass. I had held that sword, and it was so heavy I could barely carry it using two hands. And here he was, swinging it around like it weighed nothing.

"Confident, aren't we?" I asked, circling him. The weight of the sword and the sudden sharpness of my senses took my mind off things. I felt better already.

Arthur moved. The world slowed down to a crawl. The tree leaves rustled in my ears. The cool breeze pricked my skin, bringing with it Arthur's heartbeat and warm scent.

I dodged his single handed lunge and swiped his blade aside with mine. Metal against metal. The sound echoed in the morning air, hailing the beginning of another bloody day.

We jumped back. Arthur's foot barely touched the ground before he flew my way again. I almost lost my balance when his sword went through the gap between my arm and side. It would have grazed my side had I not twisted out of the way. I lowered myself with my turn and aimed a kick to the back of his knees. It connected. But he didn't even budge. Ugh. He swung his elbow. I ducked under and aimed my sword at his middle.

Arthur slid his sword against mine and leapt away, but I followed. He was stronger, bigger and faster than me. My lack of strength and speed compared to him was a definite weakness. But my smaller size didn't have to be. Uncle Robert's teaching guided my movements.

Take advantage of your smaller stature.

Arthur and I exchanged blows, the sounds getting louder and more frenzied as the sun rose, our long shadows dancing on the ground. Sweat beaded my forehead.

I refused to use my magic to land a hit. We went blow for blow, Arthur having the upper hand. He tempered his hits to not hurt me. I chafed at the knowledge, but I also knew that if he hit me with his full strength he would break me in half.

The opening came when Arthur swung a little too wide because he thought I was going for his back. I took advantage of the hole in his defense and stepped into his space. My small body fit perfectly against him. The short range meant my sword was useless, but I already had my steel dagger out and planted in his side.

Arthur groaned. I felt a tickle in my side, an echo of his pain. Arthur wrapped an arm around me before I could dance out of his reach.

His breath tickled my ears. "Well played."