Chapter 35

Night had fallen by the time Arthur, Charles and I went back to Arthur's wing. Amanda and the others were nowhere to be found. Charles stayed outside again.

"Venus and Burak are coming," Arthur said, plopping down on the couch. He rolled his broad shoulders and sighed heavily.

"Why?" I asked, walking to stand by the open french doors. The sky was dark, but if I focused hard enough, I could see three pin pricks of lights flying high overhead.

A knock sounded on the door before Arthur could reply. The door opened to admit Arthur's siblings, Venus and Burak. Venus was as striking in jeans and a white shirt as she was in a gown. Burka looked like a man who knew he was handsome and took full advantage of it.

"Well, well, big brother. You missed the big event," Burak said with a grin. He looked at me with a glint in his eyes, "but I can see why. You wouldn't want to leave this cute morsel all by her lonesome self, now, would you?"

He was such a waste of a pretty face. I really wanted to sew his mouth shut. With my dagger. I grinned at him.

"Ooh, blood thirsty little thing, aren't you?" he laughed and dropped on the couch across from Arthur, while Venus sat on an armchair. Her gray eyes fixed on me. The impact was quite unsettling.

"Sit down," she told me, "this concerns you, too."

"I'd rather stand, thank you." I said.

She raised her brows, then turned her attention to Arthur. "As promised, I came to brief you on the information I extracted."

"And why are you here?" Arthur asked Burak.

"Because my dear sister has not divulged everything in the presence of the council," Burak said, "you know I have an affinity for mental exercises. Venus kept some things to herself, some things that she will share with you, and I'm just a little too curious to leave it alone. So here I am."

Venus sighed.

"Santos was one of the people who was involved, along with several others. I've given the names to the council. As expected, the head of the snake was extremely cautious to keep his or her identity hidden." Venus said, "however, as Burak said, there are some things I didn't divulge. It concerns her."

It didn't take a genius to know who 'her' was. Suddenly, my magic throbbed inside my heart, pulsing with a rhythm that wasn't my heart's. It felt as though it was about to flow out. I sucked in a breath and looked at Arthur. His eyes were pitch black, and although he still looked relaxed lounging on the couch, his magic was almost boiling.

I moved towards him, pulled by an invisible string, and perched on the arm of the couch. His magic settled down a notch.

The two siblings did not miss a thing, but only Burak displayed a change of countenance. He looked immensely amused.

"Is that so?" Arthur finally said, breaking the silence. "What did you find?"

"A prophecy," Venus said, "I know that the person who attempted to kill her today had said something of the sort. But because prophecies are not common happenings, I, like many others, had put it to him being in a difficult position, what with you and Orion being present.

"However, some of the people we caught yesterday have interesting thought patterns. They were all worried because of her existence. There were several memories pertaining to prophecies about her. "

"Any details?" Burak asked.

"Nothing discernible," Venus said, "however, her existence was not perceived positively. Whatever this prophecy is, your fae is obviously someone who will put a hamper on their plans."