Chapter 62

Rami bowed at the waist to the king, then stood next to him.

"Rami, I don't believe you've had the chance to meet my niece, Elle."

"I have, in fact," he said, bowing his head. "Lady Elle. Lord Arthur. Alpha."

Arthur's eyes took in Rami, sizing him up. His magic raised its head, lazily scanning the witch from head to toe. I guess Noah's words were still fresh in his mind. I shot Noah a look. I could have sworn his eyes wrinkled in amusement.

"Rami," Arthur drawled. "The last time I saw you, you were an apprentice of Taro's."

Rami did not hide his surprise well enough. "Yes. I did not think you would remember me."

Arthur smiled. Uh-oh. I knew that smile. "One does not forget a youth blessed with so much power. I expected you to take over Taro's position in a matter of years."

Rami smiled a little.

"He was offered a better opportunity," My uncle said with a broad smile.

"So I see." Arthur nodded.

Amelia approached us then, her hair fell down one shoulder in soft waves, looking more golden than auburn under the light. Her dress was a pale lavender airy material, cinched at the waist and flowing down her legs to barely touch the floor. A radiant smile warmed her face.

"Elle, lord Arthur, Alpha Noah. I hope you are well rested."

"We are. Thank you, Lady Amelia," Arthur said.

"Elle, my dear. Would you come with me for a second? There are some people who would love to meet you."

"Of course."

Arthur squeezed my hand before letting me go. I gave him a pointed look.

Don't kill the king's advisor.

I sent the thought through the bond as Amelia and I strolled through the room. I was glad for the slow pace. Arthur's only response was dark amusement.

"You look very lovely tonight, Elle," Amelia said with a smile.

"Oh. Thank you." I paused. "You look lovely, too."

Amelia's smile warmed. I cleared my throat. "Where is my father?"

She sighed, a loving expression crossing her face. "He must be here somewhere, arguing with someone. He often loses track of time when the discussion is passionate enough. Oh, here are Eva and Molly. They're your father's direct cousins."

We approached a couple of women dressed in silver satin gowns. They had long, light brown hair, and the one visible to me had a heart-shaped face with big green eyes, faint freckles across her cheeks and a button nose. The other woman turned, and I had to blink to make sure I wasn't seeing things. They were twins.

Birth in our world was a big deal. Immortals couldn't procreate as fast as humans. Twins were basically a miracle. I only knew of one other pair of twins, Jesse and Kat.

Ah, Jesse. I missed that infuriating cat.

"Eva, Molly, have you met Elle?"

The twins turned their eyes to me. "No, we haven't. Have you, Molly?"

Molly shook her head. Eva cocked her head to the side and smiled tightly at me. "A pleasure to meet you, cousin."

Her eyes glanced at my cheek, then my arm. Her smile tightened further, if at all possible. I showed her my teeth. "The pleasure is all mine."